Monday, September 13, 2010

From Bruno

September 13, 1943
"Duncan Dunn Hall"

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Curcio,

Rather reluctantly, I find myself once again back here in the State of Washington. You see, I have just returned from a 7 day furlough and it certainly was a dash across the states to get home and back here again without being A.W.O.L. Old New York and especially home hasn't changed much since I've been away. The villages on Long Island seem rather "dead" as most of the fellows are in the services. I had a total of 24 hrs. home and I certainly was on the go during that time. I wish that Tony had been with me to see New York loom up in the distance. It was a grand and appreciable sight to see again, but none I can't wait for my next furlough and it is rather "tough" knowing that you just have to wait and like it.
While I was away, 23 more fellows from the Univ. of Idaho were transferred here. I looked in vain for Tony and Ray and from what I heard, I believe that they have been sent to Oregon. I can well imagine how they must feel, especially knowing that there are numbers of colleges back home where we could have been sent. It seems that the West Coast has a grasp on all of us fellows from the East. However, we can all thank our lucky stars that we aren't overseas yet.
Yes folks, Tony was quite right when he wrote that I have to "keep an eye on the beam" all the time. The course that I am taking now is mostly mathematics and my high school days were seemingly wasted on bookkeeping and art. Although I have my doubts as to my success here, I intend to do my best regardless.
Perhaps in the future, when I get more than a 7 days furlough, I can pay you folks a visit. However, if you ever go out on Long Island, stop at Coram at ask for Borella's place. Everyone there knows us and I don't imagine that you'll have much trouble finding it. Just tell my folks that I've been with your son. They have the same enlarged snapshot of us there and I've often mentioned Tony in my letters. Tell my father that I recommend white wine served to you folks.
I'll surely see all of you after this war is over. Regards to the rest of the family.
Sincerely,
Bruno

No comments: