Friday, September 10, 2010

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 81

Co. "A" A.S.T.U. 3920
U. of O.
Eugene
Letter 81
Rec'd 119

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

It is the nite and I am sitting in my bunk and the dusk is starting to settle over the city of Eugene. I am completely contented except that I am so far from home. I hope I can get home after the first 3 months but it's hard to say right now. We'll just pray for the best.
Yesterday morning we got our clothes checked to see if we were short any. I am OK as usual. Then we were given the rest of the day for ourselves. So Hemenway & I went to town & got a hair cut & then went to a show & saw "Stage Door Canteen." Boy it was a good picture. I actually got tears in my eyes when the Marines got their call to leave & they all sang the "Marine's Hymn." Gosh what a chill I got thru my spine. I thought of sister & Frank.
Today we were given a test in the morning in mathematics & I think I made out OK. Then we went for a class in Trigonometry. And refreshed my memory a little. Boy the campus is certainly big. It seems to get bigger all the time. And the buildings are new & really beautiful. I am looking for some postcards but as yet didn't see any.
This afternoon we were issued our books. I got 12 of them. Boy what a load. And then we were given the rest of the day off.
I went to town and bought Anita a little cross like I got for Eleanor. Her birthday is the 21st of this month. As I go to town the more beautiful it gets. The houses are nice and the lawns are so pretty & green. It's really swell.
Boy they certainly have a system for everything. When we were issued our books, every book had the same no. in it. So you just have to remember one no. and it's the same in all the books issued. Isn't that smart. That's what I call a system.
The food is certainly swell. You couldn't ask for anything better.
I received a couple of letters today. I was certainly surprised to hear Ann is starting to take lessons, but more than surprised I'm glad she is taking them. And I sincerely hope she like them.
I am glad everything went OK with the wedding. I do not know whether he was Catholic or not. I didn't know him. I am glad Ele congratulated her. She should have gotten the bouquet. What do you say ma?
How about some pictures of everybody?
I am fine ma & I hope everybody is OK too. And how are you feeling ma? You didn't tell me in a while but I assume you are in the best of conditions. Give loads of kisses to Grandma for me ma. Your the only one I would ask if you know what I mean.
I'll close now remaining
Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

P.S. Excuse the writing ma. I'm not used to writing in a bunk.

No comments: