Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 83

Co. "A" ASTU 3920
U. of O.
Eugene
Letter 83
Rec'd --
9/15/43

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

Just now I have about 15 minutes to spare so I'll start a letter. I just finished chow. Boy they certainly tossing the books at us. I hope I can catch it as fast as they throw it. I'll list the program we have to follow:
TIME MON TUES WED THURS FRI SAT
8:00 to 8:50 CHEM MATH S.S. CHEM MATH S.S. CHEM STUDY
9:00 to 9:50 CHEM S.S. MATH S.S. PHYS S.S. MATH S.S. CHEM S.S. GEOG
10:00 to 10:50 MATH S.S. P.E. ENG. S.S. P.E. PHYS LAB P.E.
11:00 to 11:50 PHYS. S.S. P.E. GEOG. P.E. PHYS LAB P.E.
12 Noon





13:00 to 13:50 MATH MATH LEC. MATH MATH LEC. MATH MATH LEC.
14:00 to 14:50 HIST. ENG. HIST ENG. HIST ENG.
15:00 to 15:50 MILITARY PHYSICAL EDUCATION
16:00 to 16:50 PHYS PHYS PHYS PHYS PHYS PHYS
17:00 to 17:50 MAIL CALL
18:00 DINNER
19:00 to 20:20 STUDY
20:30 to 21:30 STUDY

Tues. morning. I just got up. We just cleared up our room and I will go down and eat breakfast in about 15 minutes.
Well I had one day...and it's not bad but there is an awful lot of studying to do. We march to and from all classes and it looks swell seeing all the groups move around in formation. The teachers seem to be pretty good also. One teacher (history) is Colonel Robert M. Lyons (retired). He has 43 years in the army. He went thru West Point with Gen. Douglas MacArthur. And he taught Gen. Dwight Eisenhower & Gen. Bradley. History at West Point. He had a very interesting background.
You certainly get tired walking around the campus from class to class and I certainly slept last night.
I have a little booklet to tell you about the campus. I will send it along when I have a chance.
They certainly keep us on the ball here. Everything has to be just right & everything has a good system. And there is plenty of Majors, Lt. Colonels & Lieutenants to see that things are done right. You see there are R.O.T.C. Boys here and we more or less have to compete with them. But the more on the ball they get us the better I'll like it.
I hope everybody is in the best of health. And give my love & kisses to Grandma for me ma. I'll close now & try to get as much writing to you as possible. It took me two days to write this one. But there isn't too much to tell around here anyway (just study). So until my next letter I remain,
Your loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

No comments: