Sunday, August 22, 2010

From Bruno (Borella, Tony's Friend)

August 22, 1943
Dear Mr. & Mrs. Curcio,

I'm writing this letter to you folks because through your son Tony, I feel that I've known you for a long time now. Joe D'Angelo, Tony and myself have been constantly together ever since we left Jefferson Barracks last March. As you already know, Joe was sent to the Combat Engineers and for awhile "our gang" was broken up. However, the rest of us more or less were together although I too was transferred to another Battalion.
When the orders came through for this college program, I once again found myself with Tony. We were at the Univ. of Idaho together and we did expect to be sent to the same college but it was "just my luck" to be one of the "unhappy" eight fellows from our group to be sent back into the State of Washington. I certainly miss your son's company and I know that I'll never be able to find a better friend.
He has the intellect and ambition and someday I know that you are going to be very proud of him. I certainly am looking forward to the day when we will all be back from this war and being that I live at Coram, Long Island, I'll be seeing him and also you folks at some future day.

Respectfully,
Bruno Borella

No comments: