Sunday, August 15, 2010

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele No. 71

P.F.C. Anthony J. Curcio
Co. "A" STAR Unit 3902
U. of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho

Date 8/16/43
Letter No. 71
Rec'd ----

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

It's Sunday nite and I just came in from mail call. I got two letters from Boby which I enjoyed very much. I like the way she writes. You can tell by her letters how intelligent she is. I also got a letter from Anita & a card from her also. And guess what kind of a card it is. It just like the one you sent to me some time ago. This is the saying it had:
"Don't write nothing sad to the boys in the service." The magazine articles say:
"Don't tell them how sorry you feel for yourself ---
They've got worries enough anyway! ---
And so I won't tell you how lonesome I am,
How sad & dejected and blue ---
I won't even tell you I miss you real bad
But, just off the record, I do."
It has a girl sitting in an arm chair reading a magazine. Do you remember when you sent me that one? It made me feel so good when I got it. Whenever that happens like you & Anita picking out the same thing it makes me feel like we have something in common. It makes me feel so good.
Anita got my picture made & she said it turned out real swell. It's good to have someone like that to think about ma.
I went to town Sat. afternoon before the stores closed & bought Elfrieda a set of book ends and a card. It cost me 4.25. The lady put in a nice box & wrapped it up for me. So I didn't have to do anything to worry about. So you won't have to get anything ma. I sent it direct to her. I hope she likes it. This is the way it looks.
[Illustration]
It looks pretty nice. I guess it will be all right, huh?
Last nite I went to the show again & saw "The Ox Bow Incident." It was alright but it was kind of slow. After that we went to one of the dances & stayed about a half hour & then cam back & went to sleep.
Today I went to church 10 o'clock mass. It was a nice church only the priest talked too low. As we were walking to the church a lady picked us up and took us right in front of the door. She told us about her son. He is also in the A.S.T.P. unit & is going to a college in California. It was pretty nice of her, don't you think so?
This afternoon I wrote some letters. Tonight after I finish this letter I'll write to Anita & Grandma & then study a little.
I will enclose another postcard showing Moscow in one shot. That's all there is there is no more.
You should find Spokane on the map. It's about the largest town in Washington besides Seattle & Tacoma. See if you can find it ok?
I guess Bob & Ann are up in the Catskills by now. I hope they have a nice time.
How is Pop making out? What
[?] is he got now? How is he feeling? How big is Eleanor getting? I was looking over some pictures & just started to think I bet she's bigger than I am now. I will close now & write soon again.
Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

No comments: