Friday, July 30, 2010

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 64

P.F.C. Anthony J. Curcio
Co. "A" Star Unit 3902
Univ. of Idaho, Moscow Idaho

Date 7/30/43
Letter No. 64
Rec'd --

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

I received the telegram tonight. I hope I didn't give you the wrong idea. You said in the telegram that I should hurry home. Well I explained everything in the letter I sent last night. I hope I didn't disappoint you in the telegram. I tried to state clearly that I wanted the money just in case and not that I was coming home. I felt so bad that you did take that interpretation of the telegram. But the reason I wanted the money sent here in a hurry was that I didn't want you to send it to McChord Field & chances are that I will be shipped pretty soon to a permanent college and if the course shouldn't start for a while I may get a furlough until it does start. But I am not in a college yet. I have to pass exams & go before the board here before I get to a permanent college. So keep your fingers crossed. Chances are pretty good that I will be shipped closer to home as they are shipping quite a few to the eastern colleges. So there again keep your fingers crossed.
Then after the first 3 months of my course I get one week off & if I am near home things would be perfect. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Today we didn't do much except study all morning. 5 of us in the little room[...]discussing problems on trig & geometry until my head was spinning. The afternoon we went to one of the buildings to fill out some papers on our schooling and discussed the program. If I pass the tests & the [?] I will be qualified for basic engineering. And after 9 months & I still qualify I can take advanced engineering in civil engineering. I think it's an excellent opportunity. Don't you?
In this course we will get no passes during the week & one pass over the weekend. So it will be no picnic & will have plenty of work to do.
My eyes are bothering me from staring at figures so much. I hope they snap out of it. I guess it will. After not doing anything for quite awhile it's only natural that they should bother me until I get on the ball again.
As I look out of the window you get the most beautiful sights. This country is very hilly & the hills are covered with different patches of vegetables & grass. It looks like a patch quilt in different shades of green. It looks like a painted picture. Oh it's so beautiful I only wish you were here to see it.
The weather is really nice here & is cool at night so I slept pretty well at night.
I will close now hoping everything is clear and hoping you are not disappointed in me not getting my furlough just now & hoping you are proud that I got a chance to try for an army college.
So until I write again I remain,
Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

No comments: