Saturday, July 3, 2010

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 57

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio
1875 En. Avn. Bn. Co. H & S
McChord Field, Wash

Date 7/3/43
Letter No. 57
Rec'd --

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

It's Saturday afternoon and inspection is just over. But it ended kind of abruptly because as the Major started down the ranks, mother nature poured down a bucket of water & drenched us all. In about 30 seconds you couldn't find a dry spot on us. And just ten minutes before that the sun was shining so you can see what weather we have here although it was the first time it happened to me.
Tues. nite (6/29) I went to the show & saw Song of Texas. It wasn't bad.
Wed. nite I was in charge of Quarters (C.Q.). It was the first time I had it in the army. Many of the fellows had it many times. We just have to stay in the orderly room from 5 at nite to 8 in the morning & take charge of things.
Thurs. (7/1) believe it or not I was made P.F.C. I believe I should have made it a long time ago but I don't squawk. In the nite I got a pass & went to a carnival at Pt. Defiance park with Peggy. They only had a couple of rides but we still had a pretty good time.
We didn't start our training yet and we are still working on the road job surveying.
The weather was pretty good for about a week. And believe me when the sun is shining & you can see Mt. Ranier. It certainly is a pretty sight and every time you see it, it looks different.
I have been in the best of health. Just once in awhile my eyes felt tired. I guess I don't exercise them enough. I really should read once in awhile.
I can't write much ma because nothing too much has happened.
Oh. I almost forgot. I got the handkerchiefs & cards. Thanks a lot. Did you get the package I sent you with the present in?
I also sent the tin box where the cake was in. I put some letters in the box. You should get it pretty soon.
I will close now & I hope everybody is just fine & in the best of health.
Your Loving Soldier Boy
Tony

P.S. If it's nice tomorrow I may go swimming at one of the lakes with Peggy. I'll tell you about it next week.
P.S. I got my P.F.C. stripes on Grandma's birthday so it's a double celebration.

I just received letters 91-92-93 & a family album. They came all at once & I also received a letter from my toos. [?] He got an honorable discharge from the Marine candidate school and is now working & with a New York firm.
Boy that certainly was a cute idea about every writing in the little booklet. And especially when Grandma signed it. I felt so happy when I saw the last page. Thank Grandma for me and give her an extra big kiss for me.
I appreciated your trying to hold back Grandma's present ma. But as long as she liked it, it doesn't make any difference.
Boy that's quite a heat spell N.Y. is having. Sometimes I wish we had one just like it here. But I'd rather be in it in N.Y. with everybody else.
I'm glad Dad like the cigarette case and I hope Ele will like her present too. And I'm glad you were able to keep it a secret from her even though you weren't able to keep it from Grandma, Right?
The medal that Aunt Margaret gave me came in the box with all my birthday presents.
I am so sorry to hear about Aunt Margaret being in the hospital. I will try to write real soon to her.
I shall close once again and I am so happy because I received the mail
Love & Kisses
Tony


No comments: