Monday, July 5, 2010

From Joe (D'Angelo, Tony's friend)

Pvt. Joseph D'Angelo
Co. "A"--110th Eng. Combat Bn.
Amphibian Training Force No. 9
Fort Ord, California

July 5th, 1943

Dear Mrs. Curcio,

I really was...surprised to receiv[e] the little booklet from you. It had me laughing. It really typified army life although it was on the funny side. Thank you very, very much. It seems as if you're getting to know just as much about the army as any of us do.
As much as I dreaded it, it had to happen. I guess you know all about it. I've been shipped out of McChord Field and separated from my best friends. They were the best friends I ever had or ever hope to have. I suppose Tony tells you a bit about them. I especially miss Tony. You know what swell buddies we were. We had so much in common and were able to talk to each other like brothers. I'd give anything I own to be back with him. But, it seems as if all good things must come to an end.
I'll never forget the day I left. We just moped around not saying anything. I guess that went on for a couple of hours. How I hated to leave. It was like leaving home for a second time. I dreaded that moment when I had to say goodbye. But, it came, much too soon. It was really torture having to say goodbye to them. I could feel myself ready to cry, but I couldn't look at any of them in the face for fear of doing so. Still I'm not so sure there weren't tears in my eyes. I would have rather faced a hundred Jap[anese] than go through that. But, I suppose the Army knows best although I think very much different. I'd give anything I own to be up there with Tony again.
I almost forgot to apologize for writing to you so late. We've been very busy lately. We're going on maneuvers so that we had to work from early morning to late at night packing stuff. Since we have most of our work finished they gave me this afternoon off which gave me a chance to catch up on my mail. I hope you forgive me.
Although I've been in this outfit for over two months now and gotten used to is, there's always something missing. You know just as well as I do what (or should I say who it is). Although I have made plenty of friends I haven't been able to find one that I care to pal around with. They just aren't my type. Having friends is one thing but having a budd[y] whom you can trust and share your joy and troubles is a completely different thing. I have my fun but I don't seem to get the kick out of it I used to get. But, I don't think I should complain. There must be other in the army worse off than I am.
Tony and I keep in touch with each other. We keep each other informed as to how we're going along. It's really swell getting letters from him. It seems as if he's talking to me just like old times. I guess he's telling you just how he's getting along. I wish they'd give him a break though. He really deserves it. He should have a couple of stripes. I've seen some get stripes that never even deserve them. Tony is the kind of fellow that has a job, knows it thoroughly, and does it very efficiently. He keeps all to himself and no one even notices him. That's the kind of fellow that should get stripes. But it seems as if the fellow that does the least and talks the most gets them. This really gripes me, but there's nothing that can be done about it. His day will come.
I guess I'll close this letter now. I just can't think of anything else to say. But, I hope that I can get to see you, Mrs. Curcio, on my first furlough. I know I'm really going to enjoy knowing you. In fact, although I haven't met you I feel as if I've known you for a long time.
I hope this letter finds you in the best of health. I also hope that this mess will be over real soon so that we can go back to our families and really know what it is to be home. It will be then that Tony and I will get together and really celebrate.
Very Sincerely,
Joe

No comments: