Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dear Helen

7/7/43

Dear Helen,

As I am writing this letter I hope you are having a great time in the Ozarks. I think this is the longest period of time between letters since I am writing you. I hope you will forgive me that I was awful busy. I had to write that same line to all my friends I am writing to at this present time, and believe me I hate to do it.
Well Helen, I made P.F.C. after 6 months working for Uncle Sam. I hope you know that it's not
[sic] what you know in the army, it's who you know & how well you can pull strings. I'm not trying to cover up for my lack of promotion but it's the truth. I know some of the dumbest guys that have more stripes than I'll ever see. But that's the army & I'm not squawking. I'll live and try to be happy.
Since I last wrote you I went to several U.S.O. dances, one being a formal dance. All the girls were dressed in evening gowns & it really was a grand success.
The past four Sundays I have been going to one of the near by lakes swimming & dancing. We get a large crowd together & have a grand time. Sometimes I feel like a civilian. But that doesn't last very long & I'm back to usual again in a G.I. zoot suit.
I have seen a few pictures the best ones being "Five Graves to Cairo" & "Crash Dive." Both I liked very much. I saw one last night and I almost fell asleep. Sometimes I wonder why they make some of those pictures.
The "Carousel Caravan"came at McChord Field a few weeks ago and put on a excellent show. Comedians, singers, etc. The show was so good I think I enjoyed it better than some shows I saw back in N.Y.
I want to thank you a million for your late birthday card. I
[t] certainly was cute. Sometimes I wonder what we would do without cards. Isn't that right? My birthday was June the 3rd.
That little note you sent me was cute although I expected what it was because I received one like it awhile ago. They certainly make your heart beat faster tho, don't they? For awhile it makes you feel pretty important.
I shall close now hoping that the next time I shall be more caught up with my self and I shall write you a more entertaining letter & much longer. Please tell me all about your vacation & here's hoping you had a swell time. So until then, best regards to your family.

Sincerely,
Tony

No comments: