Monday, February 23, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele, Letter No. 21

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio
Flight A-31-T.S.S. U.S. Army
Jefferson Barracks, MO.

Date 2-23-43
Letter No. 21
Rec'd 27

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele,

It is Tuesday night and I am writing letters once again. I wrote all day Sunday, last night & tonight. I wish I only had to write to home, Grandma & Ele, but if I don't write I won't receive any so I have to answer all letters. I really wouldn't mind if I had plenty of time. You notice the change in script? I'm in the day now. It is more comfortable, sitting at the table & listening to the radio. I'm sorry I didn't discover it before.
Yesterday we had gas mask drill. We learned how to put on our gas masks and test for gas. We got wiffs of mustard gas, phosgene gas & a couple of others. Then we went into a chamber with tear gas to prove that our gas masks really work. They worked. Before we left the chamber we had to take our masks off and we all started to tear. I had tears all the way down my cheeks. All these gases are in concentrated forms. It was really a lot of fun. From the gas chamber we had to walk across the camp & then thru an obstacle course with our gas masks on. Boy were we sweating. Boy that obstacle course certainly toughens you up. In this flight we go thru it twice a day. It's a bit different than our other obstacle course. You see when we changed flights we changed our drill field also. I like this one a lot better.
The weather here is cold when we get up, but in the afternoon it's like a summer day.
Al didn't say anything about where he was. Just about things in general.
If I ever get home on a furlough I'll take over Bobby's unit for a night. I'm catching on to this drill pretty good. What do you say Bob? How far do you go teaching your girls drill. Right flank-left oblique, extend march etc. Let me know I'm quite anxious to know, OK.
I'm still waiting for those cookies Ann. Of course when you have time. But I certainly do miss them. I hope they come soon.
I hear you received my letter Ele. What do you say? Write me a nice long letter & let me know. Where were you when Mom, Bob & Ann call me up?
Hi Pa! How do you feel? I hope you aren't taking anymore pills etc. What about it pa?
Well I think that's all for now. I still feel fine. I am a little tired. I guess that's to be expected.

Your Loving Son &
Soldier Boy
Tony

P.S. I got a letter from the Testa family today.

No comments: