Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele, Letter No. 19

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio Date 2-17-43 2-18-43
Flight "F" 360 T.S.S. U.S. Army Letter No. 19
Jefferson Barracks, MO. Rec'd 22

Dear Mom, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele,

Well here it is Wed. morning about 7:30 and will be called out for chow in a few minutes so if I have to break off you know the reason why. Then I will finish it sometime today. Today we got up at 5:45 instead of 5 o'clock because our mess hall is on the blink. So we have to march way over to the other side of the camp to the General Mess Hall to eat. It's a tremendous place & can take thousands of fellows at a time. Well I'm being called out now so I close now for awhile.
Well here it is Thursday night. I couldn't finish the letter yesterday. Here is the reason. Since I left for chow yesterday morning I have been on the go as usual. Everything we do has been moved up a couple of hours because of the mess hall goring on the blink. We go on the drill field & drill the same as usual only that we stay there that much longer & get back that much later. So we drilled Wed. morning & in the afternoon we played cowboys & indians. (learning how to take signals in combat zone & then laying in the mud). (We had pieces of wood for guns). It was quite a riot. Everybody got a kick out of it.. Tues. I went on sick call and got a pass to stay in my hut on Tues. because of my ankle I sprained on Mon. It hurt me a little so
[I] thought I would get it taped up. Wed. it felt pretty good so as I told you all above, was out on the drill field. We got off the drill field about 6 o'clock & went to chow at seven. (This business of eating late will end as soon as the mess hall is fixed up). Then I was pretty tired & so was everybody else because of walking back & forth to the mess hall besides our regular drill. Soon we thought we had the rest of the night off & I was going to finish the letter & then flop in bed, but ------- we all had to go to a show. We all thought it was a processing show (like first aid) or something. So we had to walk in formation to the other side of the camp & guess what it was? ------------ It was a show by the U.S.O. entitled "Flying Colors." They had 24 Rockettes from Radio City (it was a New York show) comedians, singers from W.O.R. & it was a wonderful show. Everybody was glad they had to go. One of the singers sang "Begin the Beguine" right down the line. Wasn't that swell. The Rockettes were very good. Well we got back at 11 o'clock & I went to bed. We went to drill this morning & this afternoon was called again for special instruction on guard duty. I have guard duty from 10 -12 tonight. After all that I still felt pretty good. In fact I don't seem to get tired anymore but rather enjoy it. The only thing is I would like to have more time to write letters. I wrote one to Eleanor Tuesday & mom you read it too. I think you'll understand.
I received a letter from Eleanor & it was certainly swell to read it and Ele you won't have any trouble in your next term. Just keep up your good work. I got two letters from Ele & she says she had a wonderful time Sunday. I'm sure she did. Al didn't say much in his letter as usual but he is overseas & is sorry he couldn't write sooner. He sends his regards to all.
I got a letter from the bookkeeper from my office & it had a little bad news. Ed, my boss is in the hospital with meningitis. But is recovering. I felt bad when I read it. I'll write him a nice letter Sunday. I hope he gets betters in a hurry. His course is almost up.
And ma of course your letter, I always save yours for last. I remember when I went to night school I always saved my subject I liked last. I always enjoy yours the most. I'll have to close now. I'll answer all questions in my next letter. I'll have to put my leggings on & make my bed & shine my shoes before lights go out & then I have to go on guard duty. There is so much I would like to say but just know I haven't the time. I'll have to answer Elfrieda tomorrow. Goodnight. Love & Kisses from Your Loving Soldier Boy
Tony

P.S. That original design on Eleanor's letter was quite effective. You see ma we have a bright girl in the family. Our little genious.

P.S. I have a swell poem I will write in the next letter. It's really swell. Keep looking for it.

No comments: