Saturday, February 21, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele, Letter No. 20

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio Date 2-21-43
Flight A-31-T.S.S. U.S. Army Letter No. 20
Jefferson Barracks, MO. Rec'd 23-24-25-26

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

It's Sunday night & I'm trying to catch up on my mail. I'm writing all night.
I felt very happy that I was able to hear your voices over the phone. Can you imagine over 1,000 miles away. I feel happy & yet sorry I couldn't say more than we did. I got the message to call N.Y. about 1:30 & tore out of the orderly room & ran all the way to the phone booths. When I got there there were about 5 fellows ahead of me all making long distance phone calls so I just had to wait. I had to call up twice before they put me thru to New York. The lines were very busy. Before calling I wanted to say so much & then the only words that came out were How are you Barb, how are you ma, how are you Ann.
But I guess you can't say much more. I did want to ask you ma, whether my letters were all right, & whether my letters make you happy (I mean do I say everything right in my letters) and abundance of other questions. But I said How are you & you said you were swell so that made up for all the questions I could possibly ask. Just now the church bells are ringing & the organ is playing over the P.A. system & a lump came to my throat. It makes me feel like being home so much.
Fri. I had regular drill & went to bed early at night.
Sat. we moved as I told you over the phone, to a new section. We had to take all our things. We straightened up all day. All the fellows were separated but we still see each other.
After chow we got a call for a convoy. Anybody who wanted to go could go. So I went because my friend went even though I was a bit tired. They piled us in 3 trucks & took us 20 miles outside of camp to Middletown H.S. to a dance. We had a very nice time. I was introduced to one girl which was very nice. (I stayed with her all night because she was a swell girl (you could see that by the way she talked) & she was intelligent & could dance very well). It seems I just know a good girl when I see one. Just like Elfrieda. We got sandwiches & coca cola for refreshments. Wasn't that nice. At 12 o'clock we all had to leave the building & pile into the trucks & they took us back. Sunday morning I tried to go to church but missed it all around.
In the afternoon I got your precious call & here I am writing letters in the night.
I received a letter from Sonny today. He is going in to the army next month. He sends his regards.
I received your package today and we certainly surprised to get it & it certainly is a mystery.
In your letter you say you sent the package. I got it this morning the same time as the letter. I had thrown the paper away already so I ran out & got the paper to see when it was postmarked for curiosity's sake. Well there were the stamps & no post mark on it at all. So whatever happened I don't know but I'm sending you the stamps to put on the next package. It was certainly a surprise to receive it. That map is swell. I took the red pencil (It was certainly swell to include the table) and plotted the route of the trip here. I will keep it up. I think I will be shipped as there are 10,000 cadets coming to this camp & I think they have to make room. That's why we had to move to this flight. We have 10 in a hut instead of 8 now. We sure are crowded. But why squawk.
Oh I forgot. Thanks for the socks, wrist broom, handkerchiefs, shaving cream (I just ran out of the others, how did you know I ran out, telepathy again I guess) & of course the milky ways & cigarettes. The next package you can send me some tobacco. Thank you for the package it reallly was a thrill.
I always want you to tell me about the little things. I completely understand what you mean.
We use the both kind of socks ma. I need both, you aks me which I liek best in your 25th letter. I like both too.
Oh Yes this morning we took pictures but I won't be able to get them developed because they take 3 weeks here. They have to pass the censor. So I'll have to wait 'til I get to a permanent camp.
I hear from Ele about 2 times a week.
I sure will be waiting for those cookies Ann. I hope you get the time real soon. You really don't know how much I enjoy them.
I am including the poem I promised you ma. Copy it & Send it back. O.K. It's just for you Ma.
So I'll close now hoping I can write very soon - until then
Reporting - Signing Off
Your Loving Soldier Boy
Tony

P.S. Thanks for calling, so much I can't express.

No comments: