Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dear Helen

2-22-43

Dear Helen,

This is Tony reporting to you from J.B. Remember Sat. night? I really had a swell time.
Well it's Monday night & I'm still here, but anything could happen, but if I'm still here I would love to see you on Sunday providing I get a pass & providing you will have me out on that day. If it's O.K., you can send me instructions on how to get there. If I should be shipped I'll try my darn'est to get in touch with you as soon as possible. I would hate to cause you any trouble if I would be shipped.
Well yesterday I was very happy. I was writing letters (trying to catch up on those forgotten letters) & I got a message to report to the orderly room. They told me I was to call operator 83 N.Y.C. I rushed out of there so fast I almost took the door with me. I went to a telephone booth & it took me an hr. & a half to get my call thru. But I finally succeeded. But those 3 minutes went awful fast. I talked to my mom & my two sisters. I just had time to say "how are you" & my time was up, but it certainly gives you a swell sensation. And then again it is over a 1000 miles from N.Y. If you just stop to think it really is remarkable.
Tonight we were restricted to our area because a couple of huts weren't clean (not mine) so, we all had to G.I. our huts. Boy we certainly do that in a hurry.
We had gas mask drill today. We had to go into a chamber with tear gas in it & before we left the room we had to take our masks off & we all started to tear. It was certainly a funny sight to see.
Well I think that's all for now, hoping you are in the best of health & hoping that I hear from you real soon. Will be waiting impatiently.
Sincerely,
Tony

No comments: