Sunday, February 15, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele, Letter No. 18

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio Date 2-15-43
Flight "F" 360 T.S.S. U.S. Army Letter No. 18
Jefferson Barracks, MO. Rec'd 21

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele,

Well here it is Mon. morning & it started to snow again. It was very cold on the drill field so they let us go back to our huts a little earlier. That's how I got the time to start this letter & will probably have time to finish it tonight.
Yesterday we had K.P. One day of
[?]. We had to get up at 3 am & we worked 'til 8 at night. But it isn't so bad, in fact, most of the fellows would rather have K.P. than be on the drill field. My job at K.P. was to put the bowls & cups into trays to be sent thru the sterilizer. I got an easy job this time. After that's finished we mopped the floor & then did little things around to waste time until dinner came & then we went thru the same procedure. So you see it really isn't so bad. Boy let me tell you all, we had some meal there. I think it's one of the best one I've had so far. It seems I have developed an appetite & just want to keep on eating and eating even though I'm full. For dinner I had ham, potatoes, carrots & peas, celery, soup & crackers, bread & butter, coffee, pie & ice cream, then I went up for some more ham & potatoes & another piece of pie & ice cream, oh yes & an apple. I really don't know where I put it all. But ma, no matter how good I say the meal is here, there is nothing I would like better than one of your meals. All the meals here are just lacking that little touch of yrou hand & that extra flavor that counts so much.
We have a new system of eating now. (I don't like it). We have to wait 'til a whole table is finished lined up (10 at a table) and then we all sit down together. When the last person is finished (me) we all get up and go out together. It certainly is a nice style but I like to take my time and I'm usually the last one done. But I guess I'll get used to it. (So I had to stop this letter until the night).
I had to leave for chow & then we went to drill and we drilled all afternoon in the snow. (It was snowing). Then we had to run & go down a steep hill & everybody was slipping, etc., me being one of them. I sprained my ankle a little but it's all right now. Besides I'm resting up tonight (as I usually do at night).
I don't know whether I told you of the routine, I mean the times we do things during the day, so I shall state the times.
At 5 o'clock we get up, we get dressed, mop up, straighten up the hut, make the fire, wash up & fall out for chow at 6:20, after chow about 7 o'clock to 7:30 we polish our shoes & do odds & ends around the hut. We fall out at 7:30 for roll call & then they take us tp the drill field (which is a walk over hill & dale) we drill from 8 to 11:30 (usually the same thing & a little added each day). We come back to our area for roll call & go to chow about 12 o'clock. From chow we come back to our huts or go to the latrine & fall out for drill about 12:45. We drill from 1-4:30 (we get a ten minute break) we come back from the drill field for mail call & go to chow about 5:40. When we get back from chow (about 6:20) we got the rest of the time for ourselves. Lights go out at 9 o'clock. The latrine is open all night. I make a visit usually each night (It's about 300 yds. from our hut). At night most of the fellas wash their clothes or take showers or go to town or go to some amusement in the camp. The only place I went was to see "Arsenic & Old Lace" as I told you & when I went to St. Louis to get your pillow case.
The Sargent made a little speech tonight and said we had the huts better than any in all the rest of the flights and we were on the top of the list. He also apologized for us having K.P. Sunday. But he said it was beyond his control. He just got his orders & he had to carry them out. He is really a nice fellow.
How is that summary, O.K.? I guess I should have wrote it a lot sooner but I really don't have much time to think to
[o] much.
Today one or the fellows (the fellow that got all the food stuffs from his folks) received his camera, and guess what it was exactly the same as mine, exactly the same. How is that for a coincedence. We will probably take pictures Sunday. The sargent promised us if we're here we don't have to work on Sunday. We got his word. I say if we are still here because if they really need men in certain branches they ship them to another camp & they get their basic & schooling together. 3 fellows were shipped out yesterday as I told you in the last letter. That's why I told you not to come. It coule have very well been my branch they would have called.
Ma could you get (or anybody) me a map of the U.S. or something I could follow the places where I went or will go. I remember when we came on to here, it would have been much more interesting to spot the places as we passed them, right?
Today I received your letter, a letter from Grandma & Aunt Anna, & one from Aunt Margaret. Aunt Margaret doesn't say much just asked me how I am.
You say in your letter ma, I asked questions in my letters that you already answered. What are they ma? I know I asked you about Frank's address, but as I told you, your letter was delayed at Camp Upton & I received it a few days ago & wrote Frank immediately. As for Eleanor - well I think I will have to find time to write her a letter.
Holidays mean nothing to us in the army. One day is the same as another.
I haven't got my leather gloves with me. And I try to take care of my clothes the best of my ability.
The fellows in my hut are swell fellows. There are 4 fellows from N.Y., 2 from Fall City, Nebraska, 1 from Kansas City, Missouri. All are my age except one from N.Y. He's a quite gentle type man of 35. A swell fellow, but doesn't take to much. I get along with them very well although I really can't call one really my buddy. I guess I will have to stay a little longer to really call them my buddies. Although they are the friendliest bunch you ever saw.
Ma ask me all the questions you want, as I said once before because I really can't write things you would like to know because I don't know what you would like to know. I try to write as much as I possibly can but there are always those little things that are
[of] so much value to you that I probably wouldn't think of. Isn't that right? So I say again ask me all the questions you want to, O.K., ma?
It really seems a very long time since I went away from home, because so much happened to me since I left. Yet when I sit down & think it seems like only yesterday since I went away. I miss you all so much.
I'm just finishing up Ann's cookies while writing this letter. I really am ashamed of myself for eating theym all myself but they were too delicious to spare. I hope I'm not selfish. I even take them to drill field with me. Well I think that's all for now. So I'll sign off now.
Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

No comments: