Monday, February 9, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele, Letter No. 14

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio Date 2-9-43
Flight "F" 360 T.S.S. Letter No. 14
Jefferson Barracks, MO. Rec'd card 4, 14, 16

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele,

It is after 9 & lights are out so I came to the latrine to write this letter.
I dropped you a card telling you I had K.P. on Mon. Well as I said it wasn't so bad. Sometimes we just didn't have anything to do. They had a system here. And the dishes certainly are a heck of a lot cleaner. They sterilize them here.
When we wasn't busy we just had to do something to make us look busy & there was nobody to push the heck out of you.
When we got out of K.P. we had to go back and get our huts clean for G.I. inspection. Boy did I sleep after that.
Tues. we were taken on the drill field and drilled. After regular drill & calisthenics we had to run up & down hills & each time the sarg. blew the whistle we had to drop on our stomachs. We had to do the same thing in the afternoon. It certainly makes you tired but after it's all over & you was up you feel like a million bucks. In the night (tonight) we had to see a picture on military courtesy. That's the reason I'm in the latrine.
Well I guess that's all for today & I will answer your letters. I got 6 letters today. A beautiful valentines card from Mom & Dad. One letter from Ann. Thanks, Ann. It's good to hear from everybod
[y]. Letter #4 which was delayed from Camp Upton & had Franks address in it. That's why I kept asking all the time. So I wrote a letter to Frank just before I wrote this one. I got two letters from Ma. One of which had the two dollars in it. Ma how did you know I was pretty low on money? In my letter I wrote Sunday, I said so, but you didn't receive that letter before you wrote that one. I guess it's telepathy. Could be huh.
The food is still good & plentiful. But I would give a hundred bucks for a meail like yours ma. I really think the army life is putting weight on me. My pants are beginning to shrink already (I mean the waist) & I didn't wash them yet.
Ma, you know I brush my teeth but it's good to be reminded of it because I forget once in awhile. Everything you taught me, like not changing clothes as soon as it gets a little warmer, etc. helped me out tremendously because the weather is so changeable here.
I'm glad to hear Ele is playing that piano frequently. Has Ele learned anything new yet?
To make my be in the morning it's just routine now. In fact this is our routine. I don't think I told you yet.
We get up at 5, dress, fall out for roll call, straighten our huts, shine shoes, mop the floor, go to chow, come back to our huts, got to drill field, come back 11:30, mail call, chow, got to drill field, back again, mail call, chow, after chow we have off. So far we had off very little. Well that's our routine every day you get used to it & we just got to like it. Well I sign off now & I'll write Ele tomorrow night as we have to go to the show again.
Love, Tony

No comments: