Saturday, July 13, 2013

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 136

7/13/44
#136
Rec'd 202

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

Well here I am again reporting from Camp Cooke, Calif. but this time it's going to take me a little longer to get used to the old routine.  Boy I certainly hated to leave home.  It even made my stomach feel a little topsy turvy as you know the day I had to leave.
The trip back wasn't so bad.  I didn't feel the heat so much as I did when I came over.  The train from N.Y. to St. Louis was the dirtiest train I was ever on.  I felt like a pig when I saw her.  I took a shower at St. Louis.  Then Helen & I went on a boat ride on the Miss.  It's the swellest thing I ever been on.  It's a streamlined steamboat with an air conditioned dance floor.  We had a swell time.  We had to wretch a little when we got off, but everything went OK. 
And now for that surprise I told you about on that last card.  Helen is far the best, sweetest girl I ever met and I know that of all the girls you've met or would meet, Helen, would appeal to most as the "ideal."  So I asked her to be my girl.  And she said yes.  It made me so happy knowing I could have a girl to count on for the first time in my life.  And secondly it made me so happy because you would approve of her so readily.  Ain't that swell, ma!
The trip from St. Louis to L.A. wasn't so bad and being I had a few hrs. in L.A. I took another shower.  I got in camp about 12 o'clock last night.  Today it was kind of hard to get started.
All along the trip I picked up postcards which I will send soon.
Coming across from N. Mexico to Arizona I saw the most wonderful thing I ever saw.  I saw a mirage.  You know something you think is there & yet isn't.  In the middle of the desert we saw what looked like water.  Just like a big lake.  People would have put money that it was a body of water and yet when we got a little further down it disappeared.  It was due to the reflection of the sun I guess.  Everybody on the train was gazing out the window.  It's something I won't forget.
I just got a haircut.  The capt. inspected today and told 95% of the co. they needed haircuts.  Some crust huh!  Well that's the army.
The weather here is just about the same.  I almost froze last night.  But it's nice sleeping under warm covers.
How are you, ma?  Let me know everything this time ma.  And don't forget.
I got a swell letter from Frank.  He said he received a beauty of a letter from you.  He always calls you mom, or our mom.  You're going to have a swell son-in-law, mom.
I got a letter from Borella & he is making his wedding plans already.  Pretty fast huh!
I also got a card from Elfrieda.  She says I should try to drop in and visit them.  They are near San Francisco.
I also got a letter from Evelyn, which was very nice.
I'll close now OK.  I also received your letter mom.  My mind is a bit fumbled right now.
I guess Sandy knows me pretty well now. Just tell him I'll be home real soon again.
Yes, Ele is getting pretty.  I think she'll top them all.  Don't you?  Although my 3 sisters are all pretty and you too ma.  I think you look best in those pig tails.  I got such a kick out of that ma.  It really becomes you ma.
I hope grandma is better ma.  Send grandma my regards and tell grandma I will write tomorrow when I get a little more time.  Until my next letter I remain

Your Loving Solider Boy,
Tony

P.S. Try to get as much sewn (?) as possible, OK?


No comments: