Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 138

7/23/44
Sunday
#138
Rec'd 203

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

It is Sunday morning and I went to 8 o'clock mass this morning.  The sunshine isn't out and it's very gloomy.
This will make you laugh.  22 fellows and myself were gigged for the weekend for not having our dog tags around our neck.  It isn't affecting me one bit as I wasn't going anyplace anyway but it's just the idea of them picking on such a petty thing to gig us.  I really laugh under my breath.  It's so silly.  But that's the army.
I've been seeing shows all along.  It seems like I got a bug for going to the show lately.  Tues. I saw "The Woman Who Dared."  It was a pretty good mystery.  Wed. I saw "Step Lively" with Frank Sinatra.  And boy did the boys make noise when Franky sang.  Wow.  It was a good musical and I liked it very much.  Fri. night I saw "Summer Storm" with George Sanders & Linda Darnell.  If you want to see a good love story that's it.  I like that one a lot also.   
Things went pretty good all week and I'm getting more or less used to the old routine again.
I received your letter of the 17 and boy was it full of surprises.  Ele working for $18 a week.  This modern generation is really going to town isn't it?  I am awfully glad she got it but as you say it's probably for a short time.  The Tel. Co. bus. would be much too long.
I am awfully glad also that Ann got a lot of mail from Frank.  I bet it made her real happy.
Helen is sending me some more cards so you'll have some more to put in your scrapbook.  I bet it looks good with everything in it.  Right?
I think the price for the record is pretty reasonable.  After all it will last for a long time, in fact it will last forever if we don't break it.  Right?
I am enclosing a picture I took out of the Sunday newspaper.  It gives you an idea of how much room the driver & the Bow (that's the man on the right) has.  They are in the front of the tank.  The tank commander the gunner & myself are in the back of these two men in the turret.  Bobby wanted to know when I was home but I couldn't explain very well without a picture.  I hope it will give some idea anyway.
It was good to hear that Gram's cold is much better.  So you had turnips from Gram's garden.  I bet they were good.  I would have like to be there to eat them.  
You asked me a few ques. about Helen.  I am glad you like the idea about Helen & I and I just know you would like her.  You ask me whether someday I will marry her.  Ma I don't think I could find a better wife and if things go all right I think the possibilities are very good.  Of course it wouldn't be til after the war when we can see each other again and get more acquainted and plan things.  Isn't that the best way ma?  I've been thinking of saving a little too like Frank does with Ann.  I'll tell you what I'll do.  I could send as much as possible home (that means conserving as much as possible here) and you could put it in the bank and whenever you need some why you could just take it.  Or if you don't want to do that you could take half of whatever I send home and use it for what you want and put the other half away for me.  I think that latter would be the best or you can do whatever you like ma.  I think it would be a good idea to have a little just in case huh, ma?  What do you think ma?  I do want you to take whatever you need though ma.  That's why I don't want to say half of what I send home or anything like that because if you need all I want you to take all of it.  And I do want you to put some in the bank on your account.  Let me know what you think about it.  O.K.
Let me know how you are ma, you didn't say in your last letter.  Give my regards to Grandma.  And I wish Ele a lot of luck with her new job.  Until my next letter I remain

Sincerely as ever
Your Loving Soldier Boy
Tony

P.S.  I forgot to tell you all that I got a change of address card from Fio.  He's overseas now.  Lt. Fiodaliso.  It sounds good doesn't it?
 

 

No comments: