Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 137

7/17/44
Monday
#137

Dear Mom, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

Well here it is Monday already and I'm sort of getting use[d] to the old routine again.  Since I last wrote on Thursday things are seeming pretty smooth.  Sat. I had K.P. but K.P. over the weekend is always easy & I got done about 5:30.  I went to the show Sat. night & also last night.  Sat. I saw "Manpower" with Ed. G. Robinson & George Raft & Marlene Dietrich.  It was an old picture and after seeing about 5 minutes of it I recalled I [saw it] a couple of years ago but it was still a good picture & I enjoyed it an awful lot.  
Sunday morning I went to 8 o'clock mass and the chaplain gave a very good sermon on choosing friends.  He usually does give a good sermon.  I wrote letters until noon & in the afternoon I played softball with the co.  We played against Co. C and naturally lost.  We didn't have a regular team but I think the boys are going to start one.  Then as I told you I went to the show at night & saw "Canterville Ghost" with Charles Laughton & Robert Young.  It was a crazy picture but it was supposed to be a comedy & it was very good.
The sgt. good quite a rich (?) about the Carstairs Whisky.  He said he didn't have any Carstairs in ages.  He thanked me an awful lot.
Tell Ele that Helen finally found a Jefferson Barracks banner & she will send it to me soon.  The Ele will have a banner from every place I've been stationed at.  O.K.  Huh! 
Tell Pop that I won't be able to get anything for his birthday until payday & I may not even get paid then because I didn't sign the payroll this month as they signed it on the 7th & I got back on the 12.  But sometimes they sign it for you.  If not I'll have to wait until Sept. 1.  I certainly hope they signed it for me.
I signed up for those 10 bonds they put out for service men.  It's $7.50 a month and $10 maturity value.  So you'll get one of those a month instead of one $25 bond every 3 months.  I think that's better don't you?
Helen also sent me a postal card of that excursion boat that we took which I was at St. Louis Sat. night.  I'll enclose it in this letter.
Say could you get a few pictures made of Barb & Ele & I on one picture that we took at Calley Stream & the one of just Bob & I also.  Just 3 of each.  O.K.  I want to send one to Tiny & Anita.  
So far I didn't hear anything of us moving out although there are a lot of rumors you can't count on.  I'll let you know in case I should find out.
Well how is everything ma?  How do you feel?  Are you getting a sun tan?  Why don't you try going to a show ma or don't you feel too safe yet?  How is Grandma feeling and how is the garden coming along?
Did Ele get the job at the Telephone Co.?
I wrote to Frank & told him about the swell cake Ann made.  Boy I bet his mouth will water.
I guess that about all for right now.  I'll write soon again & until then take good care of yourself ma, don't do any work & get plenty of sunshine.  Give my love & kisses to Grandma & the rest of the family and give Sandy a cracker for me.  O.K.

Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

P.S. Tell Grams I won't need any stamps for a while yet.  Grams gave me plenty didn't she.
Love
T

 

No comments: