Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 104

Anthony J. Curcio
Co. "A" A.S.T.U. 3920
U. of O. Eugene ORE

12/28/43
Letter No. 104
Rec'd 158

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and I hope you all got a surprise when you opened your presents. Before you receive this letter I will have received your letter and I will find out.
Well I had a very Merry Christmas thanks to Tiny. I went up to Salem about 3 o'clock Fri. When I got there I called up Tiny and she came down to get me in her pop's car. Boy she's a good driver. We went to the house and I met her folks. They are very nice people. They have a beautiful home too. Her mother made my some eats for us which were very good. By gosh I had to watch my manners pretty close too. Which fork to use etc. But I made out OK. At night Tiny took me in the car to one of the hight hills & showed me Salem all lit up. After driving around town we went to the Catholic Church but found out they didn't have any midnight mass. We sent home and her mother fixed the davan (couch folded into a bed). and Tiny made a fire in the fireplace. Wasn't that nice. Her pop woke me up in the morning. He even offered me his electric razor. We ate breakfast & went to church and in the afternoon time showed me the town of Salem. (It's a good thing her pop had plenty of gas in the car.) You know Salem is the capitol of Oregon and they have a beautiful capitol building. As soon as I get some postcards I'll send them along.
For supper her mother made a turkey with filling. It was really swell. It was a swell second ma but I can still take those chickens & I can taste them and especially that filling. Don't forget to tell me about the meal you had.
I had a swell time Sat. night (25). In fact I think it's about the best time I had since I'm in the army. Tiny bought tickets to a formal dance and she also bought a black net formal. And boy did she look like a queen. Boy she looked sweet. And the dance was really swell.
Sunday morning we went to church again and in the afternoon we took a little ride and then we ate and I had to catch the 6 o'clock bus back to Eugene. It certainly was swell.
Tiny showed me her room and she has 13 certificates for National Piano Playing Tournaments and her mother said there are a few more around some place. She (Tiny) is one of six contestants in the whole U.S. that has held certificates for 6 years straight. Some stuff huh. She doesn't think anything of it though. It's just a pastime to her.
I received a package from the secretary over at John Thatcher's. She sent me cake, candy, nuts, handkerchiefs. That was pretty nice of her don't you think so.
I also got a box of Fanny Farmer candy from Aunt Margaret. Also a Christmas Card calendar. It was really nice.
I received the money order the day before Christmas. Thank Grandma & Dad for me Ma.
I saved your present till dusk (I mean yours Bob's & Ann's). It was really swell. The shirts fit me perfect and the ties are swell and wear well. The underwear fits me OK. Just that I had to move the button back on the shorts a bit but they're swell. Handkerchiefs, socks, candy, razor blades, shaving cream all come in handy. I guessed right when I guessed what was in the box that Grandma sent. I knew they were cherries.
The president of the University passed away last week and the whole university was shocked because he was so young, only 43. His name is Dr. Erb. He was from in Brooklyn.
This letter I meant to get off sooner but I had so much to say it took me a couple of days to write it. I know there is more to say but I can't think of them right now and if I do think of them I won't be able to get the letter off so I'll put it in the next letter if I remember some swell items. The weather is still mild. We still wear our flight jackets. I'll close now and will write soon again.
Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

No comments: