Monday, December 6, 2010

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 101

Anthony J. Curcio
Co. "A" A.S.T.U. 3920
U. of O. Eugene ORE

12/6/43
Letter No. 101
Rec'd 151

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

Well I'm a man of leisure for one week. It is Monday and we have the whole week to ourselves all but for one hr. of dull (every morning from 9 until 10).
We had 6 tests on Fri. and I hope to make out OK in them. I'm practically in 2nd term. In fact I guess I can say I'm in 2nd term although we didn't
[have] any official notice, but they dropped all those that didn't make second term so I guess it's safe in saying so.
Sat. afternoon Tiny and I did our Christmas shopping and Sunday after church we wrapped them at Casablanca (Tiny's sorority house). I sacked them all in a box and sent them today by R.R. express so don't be surprised when a big box arrives. But remember one thing and that is DON'T OPEN UNTIL CHRISTMAS. I have a present for Aunt Anna which I couldn't fit in the box so I will send it to you and you can wrap it and give it to her at Christmas OK? I put Grandma's present with yours so you can put it under the Christmas tree. I am not going to tell anybody what I got for anybody else in the family so when each one opens there's it will be a surprise. OK?
Today I went downtown to get a few odds and ends, Christmas cards, etc.
I am up at Gerlinger Hall and Tiny is practicing on the piano for her finals which come up next week.
We went to the show yesterday and saw "Lily Mars" with Judy Garland and Van Heflin. I liked it a lot. I like to see Van Heflin ever since I saw "Johnny Eager." Remember him in that picture?
It's getting cold up here in the morning in fact I got pretty cold during that hr. of drill this morning. (I didn't have my overcoat on as we couldn't wear them) but it's still starting to snap up a little. The dew on the grass and roofs freeze over and it looks real nice and then the sun comes out and melts it. I don't mind it when it's cold as long as it doesn't rain.
I guess that's about all for now. I am answering all the letters I couldn't answer during the term and I guess that will keep my pretty busy. I just found out that some of the fellows that left on furloughs Sat. were stuck up in Portland because they missed their train by 10 minutes and had to wait 15 hrs. for the next train. That's how uncertain train riding is which means you need plenty of time when you travel. I hope Tony (my roommate) wasn't in that bunch that missed the train.
I'll close now wishing everybody is in the best of health and very happy.
Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

P.S. Give Grandma my love & kisses.
P.S. #2--I am [glad] Boby liked her present. And that's very thoughtful of Al Lindner. He's very thoughtful isn't he.
I'm glad the roofer came to fix Grandma's roof.
If I find out the marks I got on the G.I. tests I'll let you know. The G.I. tests are marked by machines and they are graded by the no. right but will make those marks correspond to A,B,C,D,F according to their charts. I know I got A in Trigonometry but I don't know about the rest.

No comments: