Friday, December 3, 2010

Dear Helen

Co. "A" A.S.T.U. 3920
U. of Oregon
12/3/43

Dear Helen,

One down and 5 more terms to go. Our term ended today with a strenuous week with, about 13 tests which made our heads whirl a bit. But being I'm still here I guess I made out alright. They certainly keep us busy from morning till night so during this one week off I have to answer about 30 letters I couldn't answer as yet.
Before I say anymore I must confess I started a letter as soon as I received yours but I never got a chance to finish it. But that's no excuse, I should have found time.
I don't want to say much about the unhappy incident, but I want to express my deepest sympathy. Yes Helen there is only one place and that is heaven and that's so easy to say knowing his family as I do.
And for the happy occurrence, your sister's baby reminded me of an incident that happened in my family about 20 years. When I was born, my Grandfather passed away in the same week. And when my mother was talking about it, she said they were more than happy when I arrived because it took their minds off the incident that they didn't want to happen. I hope it was the same for your family.
I hope your sister's baby isn't like the baby I was. I hear I was an awful pest.
The term was 3 months long and we have 3 terms in basic before we go to advanced engineering.
It certainly is swell here and it's so far from being like the army that if I would ever flunk out it would be just like leaving home again; for the army. But I'll try to stay here as long as possible being I am learning something, getting actual credits, and having a good time besides. I guess it's unbeatable for the army. huh?
The "Hello Dance" was a sure success and we had a swell time. The boys in the unit here formed a band and from time to time they give dances and "Jive" concerts whenever they can get the gym. The sorority houses on the campus are always inviting the boys over for dances. Last week they gave four dances and we had a rare time. I spend my weekends at the "Casablanca Lodge Sorority House." It used to be a fraternity (Alpha Tau Omega) but being there aren't many boys on the campus the girls took over.
The boys also organized a football team. They had several games on Sat. afternoons which were quite exciting.
About 3 weeks ago, Marjorie Lawrence, the noted Metropolitan Opera star, came to the campus and put a swell opera on. There is usually something happening when it comes to the weeks end.
It was really funny last weekend. I was invited to the sorority house for dinner. Just me and another fellow was there and about 40 coeds and if you think it was easy sitting there--well anyway I certainly felt awkward. That will be the last time I accept a dinner date although it was a lot of fun.
We get one week off but only 7 days is not enough to go home so I will try to amuse myself here. I have plenty to do at any rate. Christmas shopping & letter writing etc.
I think I talked enough about me so will change the subject. How are you and how is everything ticking way out there in the middle states?
The weather out here is still mild. At first we had plenty of rain but for awhile now the weather has surprised just about everybody and it's really nice.
I hope I hear from you soon again and when you do't hear from me so soon I hope you will understand and just drop a postcard once in awhile, OK. I think in the new year's resolution I will put in one to have a petition signed by all the boys to the army personnel to give us a period during the day for writing letters. But you know the army, so.....
I certainly liked the compliment at the bottom of your letter "Lt. A.J. Curcio." It sounds good but I think it's quite a ways off yet. Still your the only that mentioned it. You certainly have originality anyway.
I'll close now hoping you are in the best of health and very happy and hope you have a real good old fashioned holiday spirit like the kind I dream of that gets me so homesick. Be good and give your family and the little baby my best regards.
Sincerely As Ever,
Tony

No comments: