Friday, May 29, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele, Letter No. 49

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio
1875 En. Avn. Bn. Co. H & S
McChord Field, Wash.

Date 5/29/43
Letter No. 49
Rec'd 74 & 76

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, & Ele,

Hello everybody, this is your soldier boy reporting again. Everything is fine except for a slight cold which doesn't amount to a needle in a haystack. I was all set to write a nice long letter tomorrow but something always comes up. In my last letter I told you about surveying a baseball field. Well they started construction on it & they want to get it finished by Monday so we have to work tomorrow. So it throws all my plans out the window.
I wrote last Sat. nite so I should continue from there on with the weeks doings.
Last Sunday morning I went to 11:30 mass. It seems to be a habit going to last mass, as we sleep almost all morning. In the afternoon I wrote & wrote catching up with the mail. And in the nite we went to the post show and saw "Assignment in Brittany." It was an excellent picture. Try to see it.
All week during the day we have been surveying the R.R. job & this baseball field.
Tues. night we went to the U.S.O. dance. Our post band was there. We had a nice time. But I sure wish Joe D'Angelo was with us. I sure miss him.
Thurs. nite I went to the post show again and saw "The Human Comedy" with Micky Rooney. Ma don't miss it. It was a swell picture. I got tears in my eyes a couple of times.
One of the fellows (Bruno Borella) went to learn about diesel engines at a different camp. He will be back though. It's only a 4 week course.
I got a surprise the other day. I got a 4 1/2 lb. box of cookies from Mable Anderson, the secretary at John Thatchers. Wasn't that nice of her? And boy was I surprised.
The picture frame that Ann sent me I got hanging up in the tent with your pictures all around the outside. It looks swell.
Maybe it was nothing to laugh at about Grandma's tomato plants, but I did laugh. I can just picture Grandma, Oh she is so sweet.
Yes ma, there are only 3 fellows in our tent now.
In your letter your put a P.S.--Please send tin box home. What tin box do you mean? The only tin box I had was the one that Sis sent me with the cookies in it and I sent that home with the palm in it & the tooth brush holders in it. Let me know.
Well I think that about all the news.
Please let me know right away about the doctor said. Hope you are all feeling fine & send my love & kisses to Grandma.
Your Loving Soldier Boy
Tony

No comments: