Sunday, May 17, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele, Letter No. 47

5-17-43
Letter #47
Rec'd #70 & 71

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

Today is a week since I last wrote. Just now I'm 10 letters behind. I guess I'll just have to try to write some each nite.
Well Ma, I wanted to catch up on my mail yesterday but I felt to blue. You know Joe D'Angelo, the one that sent you the letter (my buddy). Well he was shipped out Sat. nite with some other fellows. Where to & for what reason I don't know as yet, but he was just like a brother to me and hated to see him leave. In fact as he walked out of the tent with his barracks bag on his shoulder I got tears in my eyes. I really missed him an awful lot. We got along so good together. Well I guess that's one of the things we have to face in the army but I hope it doesn't happen too often.
Now there are two swell fellows left in my hut. One is Bruno Borella from S.I. & Delmar Davidson from Phil. Bruno Borella comes from Corum S.I. and Corum is about 1 mile from Seldon. They have a farm & they sell these cement blocks to all the people around there. He said he probably sold some to uncle Tony but is not sure. Ask Dad & see whether he recognizes the name. Let me know, O.K.
Well not too much has happened during the last week. We were surveying the railroad & today they started actual construction on it. So maybe I'll be on the surveying squad permanently. You know as much as I do.
Thursday I went to the post theatre & saw "My Friend Flicka." It was a horse picture. I like it an awful lot.
Friday night we all went in to Lakewood & went to the show with the girls we met on Easter Sunday. We saw "Casablanca." I enjoyed it very much. Before we went to the show one of the girls took us all in to meet her parents. Well she lived in the most beautiful house I ever saw. It was on the lakeside with huge trees & grass all over the place. I just can't describe it ma but ma it's a dream house and by gosh we are going to have one just like it. You wait and see ma.
Well I guess there isn't any more to say. I could tell you about the surveying but that's nothing to write home in letters & I guess I should keep it a secret anyway.
I forgot to mention in my last letter about a letter I got from Ann. Thanks Ann. Today I got another package from Ann with cards in it. Believe me they will come in handy catching up with my mail.
Ann, I don't think a picture frame would be too good as we can't hang any up in our tent. Thanks anyway. And by the way, that's a nice salary you are getting. And most of all you like the job. That means a lot more.
About Grandma's house. The deal wasn't good at all but maybe Grandma would settle for less, to get the house off her hands in a hurry. I don't know but I think Grandma would be a whole lot happier if she didn't have the house to worry about. What do you think?
I think it took 4 days for the Easter candy to get here. I wasn't sure so I didn't write it when you asked me awhile ago.
I feel fine and am in the peak of condition. I hope you all are in the best of health. How are you coming along with the doctor & how is Ann coming along with her doctor. Let me know. The picture of Boby & Ann are swell & thanks a lot. But how about you ma, & Grandma & Eleanore?
I shall close now. Until my next letter I remain
Your Loving Soldier Boy
Tony

No comments: