Sunday, May 3, 2009

Dear Helen

5-3-43
Mon Nite

Dear Helen,

It seems such a long time since I wrote to you. Eleven days & nights. Wow. I should write twice as much, then I would have twice as much enjoyment. And believe me, Miss Helen Riley, I'm not going to give up so easy. Maybe I should take up a course in letter writing just to find the right words, to tell you sincerely & honestly that your letters are the most interesting & enjoyable letters I receive & have received. When I read your letters my heart just inflates with sincere happy laughter; And by the time I finish the letter it overflows into a perpetual smile & if you say I have a perpetual smile, just double it to stress the point. And another thing--it's no old line because I can truthfully say, I never wrote it to any living soul on this earth. If you still have any doubt in your mind, I can write plenty more. Convinced?
You say you had a gruesome Easter Sunday. And from what you told me I guess it wasn't to gay. Well believe it or not, my Easter turned out pretty good. We were supposed to go on a picnic, but instead we were sent to private homes. My three friends & myself managed to stick together & we were sent to a beautiful country home about 4 miles from the camp. In the afternoon we went row boating on a nearby lake. After that, we had a swell home cooked meal, set up by our hostess. (It reminded me of the one I missed back at your home. I'm still sore at the army for not waiting a while longer). In the night, the next door neighbor came over & sang for us & played the piano. So all in all we had a nice time.
During the week days we have barely time to breathe with this training program. Calisthenics twice a day, lectures, construction etc. They keep us plenty busy during the day & the nights are so short.
This past Thursday we had regular routine during the day & at night we went on a little hike. We started out a 11:30 & marched 'til 4:30 in the morning. We covered about 15 miles. It wouldn't be half as bad, but walking during the night, you barely can see the man in front of you. And we didn't walk on cultivated roads either. And believe it or not I didn't get one blister. This hike is part of our training & we are promised many longer ones. But it all makes us better soldiers right? Joke.
Talking about Uncle Sam liking me, he loves me. Because this time I am corporal of the guards. You relieve the old guards with the new one & then you sit and wait 'til the two hrs. are up & then put a new guard on. Then you have the next 4 hrs. off. So this time guard duty was a pleasure. By the way, I'm on guard duty now writing this letter. It's about 2 o'clock in the afternoon & my guards are walking their posts. Some racket, huh! Boy I finally got a chance to catch up with some of my mail.
Just a word about the picture you sent me. I couldn't ask for anything better. It's real sweet. Thanks a lot. And if it wouldn't be asking too much, it would be just perfect to see you in your Easter bonnet. Honest I would love one.
As for my picture that was the only one I had & your have it.
I was never up in the statue of liberty. But most of my family has. I really am ashamed of myself. Living in such a large city all my life, & there are so many interesting things I didn't see. Maybe when the war is over you can come & visit us & I'll show you some of the things I never seen myself. And I'm serious.
That same thing happened to a friend of mine. His cousin came in from the west & he showed her all around N.Y. When it was all over, he said he saw more during that week than he did in his whole life. Wonders will never cease.
My buddy is Joe D'Angelo. He was at the last dance (K of C). I don't know whether you remember him or not.
My sister Ann works for Hall Bros. (not the oldest one). I don't know whether N.Y. is their main office, but they have a large place there. She sent me some cards which are really tops. I'll send you some from time to time.
I think I covered everything but the weather. And the weather is getting nicer all the time. The sun is shining more regular each day (except one day) (we were drenched right thru. You know the army doesn't stop for anything).
So until I hear from you again, and I hope it's real soon. I hope you are all in the best of health & very happy.

Sincerely As Ever,
Tony

P.S. Thank your sister for the lovely card. It was very thoughtful of her.
P.S. In your last paragraph of your letter you say "Try to be good." I resent that. You know I'll always be good. And I'm not being conceited either. I chose my friends & I make sure they're good. And believe me I did an excellent job in meeting you.

No comments: