Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dear Helen

5/20/43

Dear Helen,

Before I start this letter I must tell you a couple of preliminaries. First, I have a feeling that this letter will not be up to par, to which you so richly deserve. Because I am a bit tired and maybe a bit blue. But I do want to write to you so much & don't want to put it off any longer. We have been working quite a bit & I guess I should make it my business to get more sleep. But maybe you do know me a little and know that I like to work and have fun too. And the reason I am feeling a bit blue--well Joe D'Angelo was shipped and I really hated to see him go. He was just like a brother to me, and we got along so good together. In fact when he walked out of the tent with his barracks bag on his shoulder, and strutted down in his old fashioned way, tears came to my eyes. I really miss him an awful lot. I hope he gets a good break wherever he goes. He certainly deserves it.
When I wrote to you last, I was on guard duty and I shall try my best to relate everything that happened since then.
On May 4 we were assigned to schools (or should I say jobs) which were supposed to last for two weeks. Well, being there was no drafting at the present time, I signed up for surveying. We were lucky though, for after the first week a job came up for us to take over. So we surveyors (5 of us) went to work & after we got things set, actual construction was started on the job. The job is a R.R. We work all day on the field & eat there too. (I wouldn't forget that).
On May 5 we had a party for our company. We went to a nearby lake, to one of the boy scout lodges. They had a huge fireplace & we made a fire with tremendous logs. Well Helen, I could have sat there all night just looking at the fire & listen to it crackle. That's something I really enjoy. We all sang songs & some of the boys put on little acts & played instruments etc. We had a swell time.
Our commanding officer was there & he said it really made him feel good inside to see a bunch of fellows have a good time, without any rowdyism & liquor. We had sandwiches & coffee for refreshments.
Thurs. May 6 we had our battalion dance. We had a nice time but it's the same old story, not enough girls, and especially girls that could dance. And when I say girls that can dance I could be thinking of someone very dear.
Sat. May 8 we moved from the barracks to tents. Boy did we have to work. But it was a lot of fun. First we had to move all our stuff to the tents. Then we had to G.I. the tents. We managed to stick together. My three buddies and I. But now there are only two left. We really scrubbed that place & built rock garden in front. It took us all day Sat & Sun. We had to be ready for inspection by 3 o'clock. We passed as usual. Then Sun. nite we went to the show and saw "Arabian Nights." It was exciting & I enjoyed it quite a lot.
Last week & this week I am trying to catch up with my mail once more. But I still have to go to the show with the boys once in awhile so--we saw "My Friend Flicka" & "Casablanca." Both were O.K.
Well I think I covered everything except the weather again & I must say the sun really shines when it does. The sun here doesn't set 'til about 8:30. They say in the summer, nite only lasts about 5 hrs. I learn something new each day.
And another thing I forgot to tell you. We are going on the alert & that means no passes for awhile. I could tell you a lot more about it but, you now it's a military secret.
By gosh Helen, your handwriting isn't so bad. In fact it's O.K. Or shouldn't I have said that?
By this time your sister is well on her way to Florida or should I say in Florida. When you write please send my regards & hope she has a most enjoyable time.
Say maybe in your next letter you will tell me your life history? You were only kidding in your last letter but by gosh I bet it's interesting. Should I count on it?
Well I'll try to write more next time & also more interesting. So until then I remain,
As ever
Tony

P.S. Regards to your family.

No comments: