Sunday, April 26, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele, Letter No. 43

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio
1875 En. Avn. Bn. Co. H & S
McChord Field, Wash.

Date 4-26-43
Letter No. 43
Rec'd 60-61-62-63

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele & Grandma,

I wrote Sat. nite so the only thing to tell you all about is Easter Sunday.
Well we all thought it was going to be a picnic. To our amazement we were all split up & sent to private homes. My 3 friends & I all managed to stick together on the one invitation. We left the camp about 2 o'clock. We went to a Mrs. Helen Bussards home, about 3 1/2 miles from the camp. We were taken to a center & all the hostesses took us to their homes. She was an elderly woman of about 55 years old. She said the house was ours & we could make ourselves at home. It was really a very beautiful house. It's just like the pictures you see in the country & it's just a short walk to a beautiful lake. She had a daughter who is going to graduate from high school on my birthday June 3. Her daughter took us down to the lake & we went row boating. Boy this country certainly is beautiful. Most of the trees here are pine & spruce. Then we came back & had a swell meal. Then the girl from next door came in and sung for us & played the piano. She was the Capt. daughters. He's a chaplain at Fort Lewis another nearby camp. She was very nice.
Then about 10 o'clock we left & they took us to the main highway in the car which is about a mile & a half from the camp. Then from there one of the soldiers took us to camp in his car. We had a grand day. They invited us out again. Maybe next Sunday. Boy wasn't that nice of them to give us a good time like that & especiallly with all this rationing going on!
She took down all our mothers' names. She will probably drop you a line saying what nice boys we are. Isn't that nice of her.
Now I'll answer your letters ma.
I am sorry to hear about Frank's Grandfather. Is that the same one that lived with them?
By the way, the other day I got my G.I. glasses. They came thru from J.B. Boy they certainly are sturdy & strong. I mean the frame is strong.
Boy I'm glad to hear you don't have to take the pills anymore. That certainly is another good sign. I am so glad & happy.
I received the cards from Sis. Boy they certainly made me laugh. And they certainly are appropriate.
The candy you sent is certainly good. Boy there is so much candy coming in. Almost everybody got a box of candy from home & they all pass it around. Boy I hope my stomach holds out. I think it will.
All my friends are still here. I guess I should have said Buddies instead of buddy. They are a swell bunch of fellows. And we have a swell time together.
I will write as usual to Grandma & Aunt Anna. But I will also include Grandma's name on this one too O.K.
The weather here is getting pretty nice. Not so much rain anymore. I think the rainy season is all over.
By the way I forgot to tell you I went to church yesterday morning. I am fine & I hope you all had a very happy Easter & are all in the best of health.
Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

P.S. I also got two swell cards from Ann & Ele. Thanks.

No comments: