Saturday, April 11, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele, Letter No. 39

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio
1875 EN. AUN. BN. Co H & S
McChord Field, Wash.

Date 4-11-43
Letter No. 39
Rec'd 49-50-51-53-54-3 Cards

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

Hello everybody. It is Sunday night and I'm in the base dayroom writing letters. It is in the main building of the post and is very cozy. Soft couches, etc. Radio playing & quiet. Just the atmosphere for writing letters.
Thursday we went into Tacoma to see how it was. Well it's a very dead town. Nothing to do. We just bought a couple of cards & had something to eat & came right back. I guess I'll have to spend all my time in camp.
Friday night they had a special show called "King of Kings." I guess you've seen it already. It's a very old picture & I liked it an awful lot.

On Sat. we had an inspection by our commanding officer. He also gave us a little talk. He is very nice. He said we have good prospects of becoming a very good outfit. He said he wants us to have a very good time while we are here & he is arranging to have a dance for the 1875 in about a week. Other battalions have them now. He wants us to form baseball teams & bowling teams etc. I'll see how things go along & maybe we can form a track team.
Sat. afternoon we got paid. I got $40.
This morning I went to 9 o'clock mass.
In the afternoon I went to the show with the boys and saw "Hangmen Also Die." It was pretty good.
I received 3 pretty cards. One from ma, one from Ann & one from Eleanor. They are all swell. Thanks a lot.
I received a letter from Al Piluso the other day. It was post marked March 6, but he left out Jefferson Barracks, Mo. So it was sent back & I just got it. He can't say anything as usual.
I sent a box full of old letters home. They were getting too big too handle. I will send them home from time to time.
Please send me Frank's address & Mary's address from Wyckoff Ave.
I'll include a little clipping I found in the "Rip Chord" our post paper. It just shows you no matter where we go, they know J.B. for their good training.
So you are having quite a time with the food rationing. I mean the point system. Well it won't be long before you catch on to it and it will be like using money.
Thank dad for the medal he wanted sent to me.
I didn't receive the package yet. I just wonder where it is. It will probably come pretty soon.
Yesterday I got a long letter from Helen Riley. She wrote a very nice interesting letter. I hop I get a lot more from her.
I also received letters frequently from Elfrieda. She also writes a nice letter.
And today I received a letter from the inspector's niece. She asks me for a picture of myself. So could you please send me another one of me in a squatting position. The one you like & I will send it to her. Or any picture you have that shows me a little justice. O.K.
Did you receive my packages yet? If you all did do you like everything? Especially you ma?
I don't know where Frank is. But if he went across the equator, he probably went to Australia or one of the islands near there.
I didn't get my teeth examined yet. And I wear my glasses when I write letters or read. The food here is pretty good and we get enough to eat. But I don't know how much I gained. Just that I did gain some.
My two friends are swell fellows and we have a lot of fun together. I hope I can stick with them all the time.
In one of my letters I wrote to you I asked you whether you could find out about my income tax papers thru Bobby's boss. And if not you should send me the dope on what I need to fill one out & I would fill it out here. But you never told me anything about it. So will you please find out for me before it's too late. I'll probably have to pay a fine now already for it being overdue. O.K. Let me know. You can find out how much I made by calling up my boss.
Well I think that's all for now. Hoping you are all in the best of health. Let me know more about what the doctor said & what you are doing ma. Did you gain anymore weight.

Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

P.S. What does S.M.R.L.H. mean? Ele put it on her letters.
P.S. You can send me my track shoes. The both pair. I will probably have to use them if I get on one of the teams. O.K.

No comments: