Friday, April 3, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele, Letter No. 37

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio
1875 EN. AVN. BN. Co. H & S
McChord Field, Wash.

Date 4-3-43
Letter No. 37

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

Well how is everybody? I didn't hear from home in so long I just pray everything is O.K. I'm pretty sure it is but I still would like to know how everything is taking place. I dropped a line last night of my address just so you would know my address & I would get mail that much sooner.
I shall start from the beginning when I left Hammer Field. We left there at 4 P.M. (Monday 29) in Pullman cars. Boy they were nice. The porter came around and fixed the bunks and we had a good sleep. In the morning he would come around & make the bunks again. That's O.K. huh!
Right after we started to travel the sergeant came around and asked who would like to have K.P. at $ .40 an hour. He wanted 4 fellows. So I volunteered. It really wasn't K.P. but a waiters job. They have a dinner car which feeds 36 at one time & the table has to be cleaned off & reset for each setting. After all were fed we could go back to our cars & wait until next meal. So it was pretty easy. And we could eat all we wanted too. And one of the porters made a collection & when the trip was over they split the money. I got a dollar & seventy-five in tips & $4.00 for the hrs. So I made a total of $5.75. Not bad huh. The reason they paid us instead of taking regular K.P.s was the army hires the train with cooks & waiters to serve us our meals but they were short of help. That's where we came in.
Now a word about the trip. We traveled up thru California, thru Oregon, thru Washington to McChord Field, which is about 14 miles away from Tacoma & about 5 miles away from Seattle. The scenery was much the same as the St. of Colorado. Very mountainous. This time we passed thru the Cascade Mts. The St. of Oregon had a lot of lumber camps. We also passed Mt. Shasta (14,181 ft. high). It was once an active volcano. We saw the lava beds a little ways passed the Mt. We arrived at McChord Field about 6:30 Wed. morning. This place is also an air port, but we are not connected with it. We were given barracks, bedding, got examined and slept. Then I shot down to the P.K. and practically [?] the place out. I got your present & sent it out already. I hope you like it. I got Grandma a pillow case & a little air corp pin which I also pinned on the pillow case. I also got you one ma, which I put in the present. I also got Barb, Ann & Ele one so you all can pin them on your dresses. I also got a banner for Eleanor & a "New Testament" which I got at J.B. I got Dad an ash tray. I got Aunt Anna a couple of handkerchiefs. And I also got a pack of Easter Cards. I sent your present & Grandma's. The rest I'll send out later. How did the pictures turn out that I sent home? If they turn out O.K. You can use the picture for the present I got you ma. I'm not going to tell you what it is either. Or maybe you got it already. They you can show it to Aunt Teeny & say "this is what my son sent me." See what she says. (I forgot to tell you, they have a very large & complete P.K. here).
Thursday I had K.P. What a racket. We got up at 5:30 & started work at 7 o'clock, & got thru at 6 P.M. At J.B. we had to get up at 3 and work 'til 8:30. Some difference. They didn't push you around here either. You took your time & everything got done & no squaking either. We talked to the cooks & they even let us taste the food to see whether it had the right taste. That's O.K. huh! But that was at the big general mess hall. Now we have our own little mess hall & have to walk a mile to get there. I don't know how it will be here.
This morning we had a little drill & then some very good Calisthenics. This afternoon we had details to do. Tonight we were all separated into companies. Some were put in Co. A, some Co. B, & the rest in Headquarters & Service. That's what H & S stands for in my address. I think it's the best part of the engineering aviation battalion, I don't know.
I think we will have to bypass school. I think we will get more extensive training here. Those tests we took had nothing to do with why we were shipped here for more training. There are many college graduates here right with us. It's just by the no's. They needed some men, so we were sent here. That's how the army works. It will be pretty good though, as long as we get training. I don't mind as much not going to school as I don't think I would learn too much in those schools. Our classification came with us so it may help us get a rating. But I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I tell you how things progress as we go along.
I started this letter last night & will finish it today (Sat.) unless we have to do something.
Sat. morning ( this morning) we had drill by 2nd leutenants & calisthenics. Then we had a detail. In the afternoon we had to G.I. the barracks.
Ever since we arrived here it's been raining. Very little Sun. But today it was pretty good. The sun shined a bit. You see this is the rainy season for this section.
Today the clouds lifted, and we see one of the tallest mountains; Mt. Rainier. We are about 40 miles from it. It extends way up into the clouds and most of the time you can't see it for that reason. It's 14,140 ft. high. The mountain is always covered with snow. It's really a wonderful sight. I'll try to get some pictures up the P.K. & send them to you.
Well I think that's about all for tonight & I will write you soon. I hope you are all in the best of health (I am) and I hope to hear from you real soon. So until then I remain,

Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony


P.S. I probably have time to write about the middle of next week. I will also try to send the rest of the packages out. By the way, did you show Aunt Teeny the present yet?

No comments: