Saturday, March 14, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele, Letter No. 30

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio
U.S. Army
23 TNG. GRP.
SQD. "A"
Jefferson Barracks, MO.

Date 3-14-43
Letter No. 30
Rec'd 39-40

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

It is now Sunday night about 8 o'clock. I'm a bit happy & a bit sad. I'll tell you why as I progress (of course nothing tragic).
I told you in my last letter that I was going to have K.P. on Fri. Well I did but it was very easy. In fact it was the easiest I had. I had K.P. in officers' mess. All we had to do was to serve the officers. They had everything put on the table in front of them. (The cream of the crop also) All officers eat there. Anybody over a buck sergeant. We worked from 5 am to 6 pm. Pretty good huh?
Sat. morning we drilled. And guess what, in the afternoon we got paid. I got $55.50. I'll tell you how I am going to use it after.
I got a letter from Helen Sat. morning. She asked me to come out Sunday for dinner & then in the afternoon we could take pictures & then go some place in the night. She also said that her & her sisters were invited to a dance at the Knights of Columbus Sat. night. She said it would be a miracle if I could get on the convoy going there but she thought she would mention it anyway. Well as it happened that the same convoy she mentioned was scheduled from our sqd. So naturally I went. She was so surprised to see me. It really was a miracle (I mean a coincidence anyway). Well anyway we had a swell time.
I was all set to get a pass Sunday morning after I went to church (8 o'clock mass) when I found out I was on the shipping list. And all men on shipping lists can't leave the camp so our whole day was ruined. And boy what a nice day it was out today. So this afternoon we had to go to one of the buildings to find out when we were going to be shipped. They told us we had to be ready at 11 o'clock Monday afternoon. So I called up Helen to say goodbye to her. She was so nice about everything. We are going to write to each other. Well that's the way it goes. I'll have to get used to that sort of thing. Well anyway it was nice while it lasted.
That is why I'm a little sad & the reason I'm glad is that maybe I'll be shipped nearer to home & it will be more convenient to keep in contact with you. (maybe this time you can come & see me). I'm also glad that I'll be able to get started or something. I hope I get to a school. I still don't know.
I got a card from Joe & he was shipped to Scott Field, Ill., which is 35 miles from this camp, right across the river. But I guess we won't be able to see each other. He comes in & I'm going out. Well that's another one of those things we will have to get used to.
I will answer your ques. in my next letter as we have to pack & have everything ready for tomorrow. 3 other fellows in my hut are also going with me. They are the same fellows that went on the convoy with me last night. They are swell fellows. So Ma don't worry & I'll let you know as soon as I get to my new camp.
From Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Love & Kisses,
Tony

P.S. I'll tell you about the money next letter. I really need a little time tonight for packing.

No comments: