Saturday, March 7, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele, Letter No. 27

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio
23 TNG. GRP.
SQD. "A"
Jefferson Barracks, MO.

Date 3-7-43
Letter No. 27
Rec'd 36

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele,

Well here it is Sunday afternoon and I am sitting in my bunk writing letters. I have to try to catch up once again.
As I told you in my last letter we were supposed to go before (yesterday) the colonel but we didn't on account of the weather. Instead we did drill in the morning & in the afternoon went on a 5 mile hike. Anything to keep us busy.
In the night I took a shower & got all set for the convoy into town. But it wasn't the same one I went on last time. They change from flight to flight. This one went to Saint Thomas' Church. So I didn't see Helen Riley. I wish I did though because I didn't have such a good time. They dance a lot different out here. They don't do the lindy like we do, the few that do it. They never heard of the peabody. But I taught Helen Riley how to do them & she caught on right away. Maybe I better let them teach me their way.
Helen was working till 5 o'clock today (Sunday) & I could have gone out to her house but I thought it would be better if I stayed here & rested a bit. I'm pretty tired from last night.
This morning I went to 8 o'clock mass, same as last Sunday. They have lent here the same as they do back home. I will find something to sacrifice. They will have a mass on Wed. night & I will get ashes on my head.
After church I made a call on the phone to Helen to explain what happened last night. Then I came back & slept till chow. For chow we had chicken, potatoes, asparagus, bread & butter, coffee, soup, ice cream & crackers. During the week we don't get the ice cream and the portions are a little less. But we still get plenty. (The field ration, as I explained in the last letter).
Boy the weather changes here. Yesterday it snowed and it was awful cold. The roads were slippery etc. This morning when I went to church it was cold & when I got back from the church the snow had melted & the ground was muddy. What do you think of that.
In our huts it's the same way. The upper bunks are hot & the lower bunks are cold. That is why I took the upper bunk. All the heat rises you know. Maybe I ain't so dumb after all.
I got another letter from Aunt Margaret. She send her regards. I also got a letter from Aunt Concelia. She said she didn't write sooner because she didn't feel so good but she feels better now. She sends her regards too.
I also got a letter from a fellow I went to school with. His name is Jimmy Anaheim. He said he got the address from my sister. How did he got it?
How is Grandma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele? I don't have to ask you ma. I know are O.K.
Until my next letter I remain,
Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

P.S. How did you like those camouflage pictures?
P.S. This is my last piece of paper & have no more envelopes. I should have wrote sooner for them.

No comments: