Monday, March 9, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele, Letter No. 28

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio
23 TNG. SQD.
SQD "A"
Jefferson Barracks, MO.

Date 3-9-43
#28
Rec'd #37

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele,

Well I have but a half an hour to write this letter as it is 8:30 now & I want to send off a letter tonight.
Monday we went before the colonel. It was pretty nice. We all had to stand at attention when he came along. He asked some fellows questions about the army. It's good he didn't ask me. I think I would have been a bit nervous. Then we did a little drill and made out pretty good. We passed and believe it or not we had the rest of the day off. So I went to the service club to write letters. I wrote one to Ele, one to Aunt Concelia, Aunt Margaret, Tony Testa, and to Joe.
In the night we had a G.I. party & I had to clean up our hut.
This morning we had to parade before the visiting Brig. General Howard. Boy it's quite a thrill marching to the rhythm of the drum. It makes you feel victorious.
This afternoon we just did a little drill & got off early. If we don't get that we get a detail. We are casual now just waiting shipment. So they give you something to do to keep you busy. You really don't know when you're going to be shipped.
I received your letter & one from Dad.
To answer your first ques., the whole squadron uses the latrines. There is about 2000 fellows.
I hope you have a nice time at the party. I guess you all will, I wish I was there. Give Lily my regards. What did she say about my description of the G.I. coffee?
Helen Riley's hair is a little darker than Elfrieda's.
I received the letter from Pa today also & I think he has much improved in his letter writing. What do you say ma? Thanks for the money Dad. It did come in handy just in time.
Thanks for the cherries, Grandma. Boy they're the most delicious candy I ever tasted. It's good to taste something that's really good that you eat at home.
And thanks for the tobacco. Everybody in the hut smokes it (3 guys anyway) and they all like it very much.
Well that's just blow & lights will go out so until my next letter I remain.
Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

No comments: