Monday, April 16, 2012

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 120

Anthony J. Curcio
Co. B - 22 Tank Bn. A.P.O. 261
Camp Cooke, Calif.
 

4/16/44  Sun.
Letter No. 120
Rec'd

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,


It is Sun. night and I am at the service club writing letters.  I was in Santa Maria last night and I sent a telegram as I didn't receive a letter since I received your card on Thur. and was getting a little worried.  I received your telegram this afternoon and was so happy to receive word so soon.  It made me feel so good everything was OK. and a letter was on its way.
The past few days we didn't do much.  Sat. we went to the firing range and fired the carbine for the first time and guess what I got?  Well you needed 9 out of 24 to qualify and I got a perfect score of 24.  Ain't that swell.  I felt so good.
Fri. night I went to the post theatre and saw "Ladies Courage[ous]" with Loretta Young.  It was about women pilots flying planes to difficult places.  It was very good and Loretta did a swell job as per usual. 
I went with one of the boys into Santa Maria last night as I mentioned before, and we went to the show and saw "None Shall Escape."  It was about the trial of the Nazi prisoners after the war.  It certainly worked you up a bit like all the rest of the pictures with Nazi brutality.  It was a good picture.  
We weren't so fortunate last night as when we got to the U.S.O. all the beds were sold out.  So we still slept in the U.S.O., but on the floor.  It wasn't at all bad tho as I used the cushions from the chairs.  We are allowed to do that, they ever have a sign hanging up saying so.  The U.S.O. is really a good deal.  They try to help us in every way possible.
Sunday morning we went to that sweet little church again.  Boy that certainly is an unusual parrish.  He didn't mention one word about money.  Do you agree with me?
We came back for 12 o'clock chow.  It was pretty good.  

While I as in Santa Maria I picked up a little something, sort of an additional birthday gift.  I wanted to send you something from here.  I thought it was so cute and I just know you'll love it.  And you'll never guess in a million years what it is.  Do you want to make a bet?
Tiny liked her present an awful lot and she just raved about the handkerchiefs.  She said they're too beautiful to use.  She is going to use them to show people instead.  She liked the pin too and she said she was going to buy a dress to show off the pin.  How do you like that?
The wind here is really terrific.  You have to hold on to your hat like a girl does.  But the sun is always shining.  I only wish I could feel it once in a while.

I guess you'll tell me just about everything in your letter so I won't ask any questions yet.  Is the little mut, I mean Sandy, still ripping apart things?  And has he learned that the gutter is the proper place?
I hope everybody is in the best of health and when you write Mom let me know how Grandma is, OK?  I'll write soon again and send off the package as soon as I can.  And please, ma, don't get impatient waiting for it, but I guess you will wait in suspense anyway, but I bet it will be worth it.


Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony
xxxxx
 

No comments: