Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 118

Anthony J. Curcio
Co. B - 22 Tank Bn. A.P.O. 261
Camp Cooke, Calif.
 

4/10/44
Letter No. 118
Rec'd

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,


Well here I am back at camp.  It's Mon. night and the day went by pretty good.  But before I tell you about the day I have a lot to tell you all that's more important.  First when this letter reaches N.Y. I hope you are 100% better ma.  I guess you will be so much better that you can stay up all the time.  And ma, you don't know how much I enjoyed being home again especially after such a long time.  And please don't think for one moment that I ain't just as close to you as ever, and after being away for such a long time makes me ever closer to you then ever.  So please don't feel for one moment that I feel any different than I always did.  I want you to feel that you have a son who really loves his mom and who is proud to have such a Grand Mom.  And please Mom don't worry about me.  You taught me how to take care of myself by proper bringing up with a good sense of moral and that's where I rank on top when compared to the men in service.  There is a lot you are going to teach me when I come home to stay, which I am looking forward to.  So just remember ma, this is your soldier boy, and this is one guy you can count on.
Boy this camp certainly looked an awful sight when I got here last night after being home.  And the meals didn't look a bit appetizing after having all my specials made for me.  But I'll get into the swing of it again before long.  It's good I took the train Wed. night because I made good connections and if I would have taken the one on Thursday I would never have gotten here on time.  I got to Chicago 6 P.M. on Thurs. and had a two and a half hr. wait for the train to Los Angeles.  I called up Mr. McIgaard [?] but he was in Washington so his secretary told me to come up the office.  So I went up and she said that the Streamliner to L.A. didn't run till Sun. (they run every 3 days).  Mr. McIgaard left money there and had one of the girls in the office wait for me.  So in the 2 1/2 hrs she took me to the Walnut Room at the Bismark Hotel (one of the swankiest places you ever saw with a band playing and a floor show).  We had a meal that cost $3.25 a piece.  The bill was $8.58 with tax.  He left $7.00 so I just had to pay the remainder.  Then we rushed back to the station and I got the 8:30P.M. train for L.A.  The trip wasn't bad.  I made friends with a marine that was traveling to L.A. and it made the time go a little faster.  The lunch Sister gave me helped out swell and I ate everything.  I got in L.A. 12:30 PM Sunday (It was too late to go to mass).  and I got a train to camp at 1 o'clock PM and got to camp about 8 o'clock last night.  I took a hot shower and got partly straightened up (made up my bed and got my stuff from supply) and then returned for the night and got a good night's sleep.
I didn't miss much the boys say.  They had mostly details and they didn't learn much.  They have guard duty tonight.  I was surprised I wasn't called with them.  I have K.P. tomorrow.  They say K.P. is really easy here.  You get up at the regular time.  You don't have to get up earlier like in other camps.  That's pretty good luck!
Today went pretty good.  We had calisthenics & then worked around cleaning different part of a motor.  So it was a pretty easy day.
I think there is more to say but I can't think of everything now.  If there is anything you want to know just ask me.  I'll be looking for questions.  I'll write again as soon as I get a chance.  I'll close now.


Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

P.S. I paid the Red Cross tonight.  I'll enclose the receipt.

No comments: