Monday, January 24, 2011

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 108

Anthony J. Curcio
Co. "A" A.S.T.U. 3920
U. of O. Eugene ORE

1/24/44
Letter No. 108
Rec'd 164-165

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

It's Monday night and it's my turn on charge of quarters. Each one gets his change according to alphabetical order. Tony, my roommate, had it yesterday (Sunday). I was lucky to get it on a weekday. We just have to stay in the orderly room from 6 PM o'clock instead of studying at the study hall.
Sat. afternoon after our 3 o'clock class we had a medical inspection and then Tiny & I went down town. I went to an optician to get my eyes examined because they would tire every once in awhile. He said my left eye was alright but my right eye wasn't too good. He prescribed something different than my G.I. glasses He is going to put them in my civilian frames. He is going to charge me ten dollars. I will let you know how they feel after I wear them for awhile.
Sat. night Tiny and I went to canteen at Gerlinger Hall. We had a nice time there. My shirt got a bit sweated up and was quite wrinkled so Tiny offered to iron it for me. Wasn't that sweet of her. Boy did the house mother laugh when she heard it. I thought it was awful cute tho. And after Tiny did iron it she said she could have made a better job of it if she had sprinkled it first. She's really a swell kid ma.
Sunday morning we went to Church (9:30 mass). We ate down town and then went to the show and saw "Thousands Cheer." It was really swell. Did you see it? I don't remember whether you told me or not. If you did, remember Hose Iterbia, he was the great piano player and conductor? Well that wasn't spelled right. He judged Tiny in a national piano playing tournament and gave her first in it. She also was sitting at the same piano with him when he played already. Her music teacher and Iturbia are the best of friends. Isn't that swell! She felt so good when she saw him. She thinks he's just about tops.
Joe D'Angelo likes candy as far as I can remember ma. Maybe you can pick him up some sort of candy.
That's certainly great news about Frank. About him coming home and also about him meeting his cousin. I was thinking that if and when he does come home he could stop a day at the university here. It's such a short way from San Francisco. What do you say about the idea. I also think it's a great idea about Ann & Frank to get married. Only I'll be disappointed if I can't be an usher.
I am so glad Grandma is up and around again. You give her my love and kisses, OK, ma? I received a swell card from Grandma with the air mail stamps. Always in time. Thank Grandma for me. The weather here is snapping up a little just now but still isn't too cold. I'll close now hoping everybody is in the best of health and very happy.
Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

P.S. Tell Ele not to worry so much about her exams.

No comments: