Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele

Anthony J. Curcio
Co. "A" A.S.T.U. 3920
U. of O. Eugene

Date 11/10/43
Letter No.
Rec'd

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

I received your letter and when I read it I certainly felt blue. I guess I didn't word my letter too well but do you think for one moment that if I could get home that I wouldn't come home. I couldn't possibly travel from here to N.Y. in 1 week. When I was back in Tacoma it took the fellows 4 days to get to N.Y. This is even further and connections aren't at all good. You say Bruno had seven days and spent 24 hrs. home. I am 24 hrs. ride from Washington State College from which Bruno got his furlough. And when he went home he told me that if he did make it in that time it would be just plain luck, but he didn't care whether he did get back in time or not. And if you don't get back at the proper time you are automatically dropped from the outfit. This is not a regular camp and you can be dropped for the least little thing. They dropped over 100 fellows since the term started. I know five fellows here, all have the same situation I have. One of them has been in the army two years and before he was stationed here he was at Fresno Calif. He traveled home many of times and said he would go home unless he has 12 days traveling time for fear he wouldn't get back in time. I told you in one of my letters that I wouldn't be able to fly home because the Commandant would not issues furloughs to anyone who had to fly home because there is no assurance of getting back. Clifford was able to fly home because he got a priority from his C.O.
So I have no mind to change, there is just no possible means. I guess my terminology wasn't too clear but that was on thing I didn't like to write about and wanted to say it in as few words as possible. You just don't know how I felt when I read that letter. I couldn't study all day just because it was on my mind. I'll be more careful in the words I use when I write letters. I am sorry if I disappointed you.
Then I received a letter from Bobby saying the same thing. But Bobby stated that I worded my letter funny and I saw where I made my mistake but even tho I didn't word it so good I was surprised you all could figure it out especially from my last letters. I hope it doesn't happen again.
I can't keep up with all my mail. I try my best to write all that I can. I was all set to finish this letter to night but we had to sign the payroll. We have about 1 1/2 hrs to write letters & do whatever we have to do that's necessary. Tomorrow a General is coming around to inspect and we have to do extra work to get things straightened up. Tomorrow night we have to march in a parade on Main Street (Nov. 11 Armistice Day). We have so much work to do now it ain't funny, but we have to march because it's orders from Headquarters. Monday we have to turn in our clothes for
[?] & Tues. laundry. Last week I had to get a haircut. It's those little things that take our time away, the little we have but I try my best to write. So if I should miss a day or so try to take those things into consideration. OK.
We had two tests today. Chemistry & Geog. and they are really putting the pressure on. Tomorrow it's Math & Friday it's Physics. This is not a regular college course because the pressure is constantly on us. That's why so many flunked out so far. I think they cut the course just a little too much. But I'm plugging away at it and am doing fairly well.
I received the package today with the jelly, candy, socks & cigarettes and crackers. I didn't taste the jam as yet. I'm going to save it for the weekend when I really can sit down and enjoy it. The socks are swell.
I am sorry to hear Bobby resigned but I don't blame her. She should have gotten further by this time. It's just like the army I guess, right, Bob?
Oregon State College is at Corvallis a short walk from here, and they have a mascot, the Beaver. It's a statue made of metal about 8 ft. long and 4 ft. high in the shape of a beaver (ours is the duck). It's been a tradition to steal the beaver from Oregon State College campus. Well that's what some of the fellows did. They brought it back and put it on the University campus so the girls in Tiny's house took it from campus and brought it in their living room. It almost takes up the whole room. Oregon State College will try to get it back I guess, but they don't know when it is, and when they do find out there is going to be a little excitement. We have a huge letter O on the side of one of the big hills around the campus and Oregon State comes over & paints it orange, that's their color. So the fellows that stole the beaver painted the beaver yellow & green (those are our colors). I'll let you know what happens.
I am writing you in study period now but I want to finish it now because I won't be able to tomorrow.
The weather has been pretty good all week so far. Very little rain.
I receive your cute card but the paper was a little small so I'll use it next time.
Elfrieda's birthday is the 14th of November so I got her some stationary at the co-op and sent it to her. I put one of the birthday cards in that sister sent me. They're real swell. Sister certainly can pack those packages. They're really solid.
I'll close now hoping it finds you all in the best of health and hope you find the letter explanatory. Give Grandma my best, love & kisses. Until then I remain
Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

P.S. I'm glad Joe wrote to you. I will write him as soon as possible.
P.S. I will include a couple of cards I found in one of the stores Sunday.

No comments: