Saturday, June 13, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele, Letter No. 52

Anthony J. Curcio
1875 En. Avn. Bn. Co. H & S
McChord Field, Wash.

Date 6-13-43
Letter No. 52
Rec'd 82 & 83

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

Well here it is Sunday nite. It was gloomy out all day & just now the sun is streaming. We had rain almost all week. This is one state you can't judge the weather. I remember back in N.Y., you usually could judge the weather the nite before by looking at the stars and the sky. But here it's just impossible.
I am still surveying on the road job. It's progressing pretty good. I just got done talking to one of the lieutenants in our outfit about the transfer I applied for last Sunday. He said it was in base headquarters and if they approved it, it would to thru. I must have talked about an hour to him. Boy he's a swell guy. He is one of those guys you can talk to because he worked himself up from buck private (enlisted man) to what he is now. And he know what it's all about.
On Wed. (6/9) nite there was a formal dance at the U.S.O. and Peggy Johnson said she would go with me. So we went and had a swell time. She went in her graduation dress and really looked swell. We had a grand time.
Thurs. (6/10) I was called down to the main post office and there was a slip there requesting the package you sent to J.B. They just wanted to see whether I received it or not. They are trying to trace it. They had all the merchdise listed so I guess if they can't trace it they will refund you. I hope so there was an awful lot in the box.
I guess it's safe to tell you now that I sent you pictures. Once for you mom & one for Grandma. I hope you like them. I had two proofs made & told him to pick out the best one. I borrowed the hat from Bruno Borella. I also sent Ele one. I hope you like it. And when you give Grandma hers give her a kiss for me O.K. I would have sent it to Grandma direct but you know how I feel with Aunt Anna there.
I went to the Post show last nite and saw "Captive Wild Woman." It was something on the style of Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde. I didn't like it so much.
My cold is well rid of and I feel fine. I told you it was only a slight cold and I treated it just like you used to do at home. Vicks Vapor rub before I go to bed and plenty of rest. How is that?
I am glad you had a nice time at Coney Island. I received your card.
We get plenty of meat here. It seems like the army has just about everything.
I hope they pick out a nice spot for their vacation. Maybe something like Jersey's Breezy Knoll?
I don't know whether I mentioned it in my last letter, but that certainly was a smart idea put "glass" stickers on the outside of the box will the cake, because I received it in perfect condition. Boy was that cake good.
I just don't know where I got the bracelet, but I think I got it the day before my birthday.
I did receive that letter telling me that Grandma gave me $5 for my birthday. And I believe I did thank Grandma for it. But I shall say it again. Thanks a million Grandma. Please keep it in my secret bank. I don't need it right now. In fact the way I am arranging my budget I don't think I will need it & you can save it.
Ele is fine & I just got a letter from her. Her wrist is better now.
The reason I didn't receive no. 75 is that you had two #76. I didn't mention it as long as I knew. O.K.
I think I may go to the show tonight as there is just time to make it. I think they have "Five Graves to Cairo" or something like that. I'll tell you about it in my next letter.
So I shall close hoping you are all in the best of health & very happy. And I hope you like my pictures. So until my next letter
I remain
Your Loving Soldier Boy
Tony

No comments: