Monday, June 8, 2009

Dear Helen

6/8/43

Dear Helen,

Say you know that I have been sitting here about 20 minutes trying to think of something to say to start off this letter. I have plenty to say but by gosh I always have trouble starting a letter. Well anyway I started off this, regardless of how I started it, didn't I?
Since I last wrote you, I have been surveying on several jobs and am loving it. But for once I may get a break. We got a new commanding officer and he says that anyone who feels he is unfit in this outfit can see him about it. So I did. I told him I would like to go to topographical drafting school as I have the background & was classified as one. So he said he would try to get a transfer for me. Maybe I am not settled yet. Who knows. But whatever way it falls I guess it be for the best.
I saw a couple of pictures at the post show, namely "Assignment in Brittany" & "The Human Comedy." Helen if you do get a chance I wish you would see them. I enjoyed both immensely.
I went to the U.S.O. dance a few times and although I have a nice time, they certainly don't compare with the dances back in St. Louis.
Sunday, June 6, I visited Pt. Defiance Park up here near Puget Sound. It's a beautiful park and I believe it's the best I've seen. I only wish I could have seen Forest Park. I love to just sit in the park. It seems that when I see nature in the raw, I can forget everything and just dream & dream of how I would like things to be. And believe me, there would be a lot of changes.
The W.A.A.C.'s have landed here to. And personally I don't like WAACs, and now there is no doubt in my mind.
Joe D'Angelo has written me and he is going thru extensive training in Ft. Ord Calf. (Amphibious Engineers). I certainly hope he gets a break & gets shipped out of there. I didn't know D'Angelo back home, but he lives so close to me that it felt as if I had known him all my life.
You certainly hit the nail on the head when you picked "As Time Goes By" as your favorite. It clicks with me alright. I didn't hear "You'll Never Know" yet, but maybe I will soon. Or maybe I did hear it and didn't know the name. I'll be more observant next time.
So you are planning on a vacation. Well by gosh I hope you pick out a swell place like I did back in N.Y. because you certainly have a good time. I wish I could go on a vacation myself (meaning furlough).
I don't think you are so nuts trying to get a tan. I love girls that have a dark complexion. My sisters always did the same thing you are going to do and believe me, I admired them for doing so. I hope you do get a dark complexion as I can just picture you with a white gardenia in your hair. Boy there certainly is beauty there.
I certainly would like to see some more clippings on the flood. If you still have them I would love to see them.
Oh say, I almost forgot. June 3 was my birthday and my dear ones certainly did an excellent job of making me happy.
My mom sent me an identification bracelet & boy its enough to knock anybody's eyes out of their head. I feel like the king when I wear it. My mom also sent me a huge fruit cake. And boy did we feast on it. I also got a ring from pop, cigarette lighter from my oldest sister & writing paper & a picture wallet from my other sisters. And my grandmother always comes thru with a large box of cherries. Besides that I got cookies & cigarettes. So you see I was made very happy and quite supplied for quite awhile. The only bad part is the time when inspection comes. I have to borow a barracks bag to hide it. Boy I had some laugh over it.
Well Helen, I think that's the story from the northwest except for the weather once again. The sun is out quite a bit now. Thank God. So until I hear from you, which I hope is very, very short time, I remain,
Sincerely
As Ever
Tony

No comments: