Monday, October 7, 2013

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 149

Oct. 7, 1944
#149

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

Well folks here I am on the high seas but as I said when I was home there is nothing to worry about.  We didn't stay at camp very long after I was home & that pass on Mon. was the last pass little did I realize, but I guess it's best when you don't know, right?
The boys & I just stopped at a few places as I wanted to show them around a bit.
We are on an English ship and I get a real kick out of the way these English men talk.  You just have to concentrate a little harder before you can make out what they say.
You certainly looked swell ma and it made me feel so very healthy and happy and that's just the way I like to see it.  But I noticed that Grandma didn't say very much, but Grandma did look very well, and will you please tell Grandma that I pray for her every night.  They have a mass said every day and I try to make it every day and just yesterday I went to confession & received communion.  This letter won't be mailed until we reach our destination so when I get to my new place I'll write as much as I can tell you all.  So when you get this letter you'll know that I arrived safely.
I was really so lucky to get home so much.  When we got to camp I didn't even think I would get a pass, but that's the Army you never know.  I always think of Joe, he never got a furlough or anything so he could see his people.  He certainly got a bad break.  Did you hear from him?  And did youhear from Helen?  I guess I shouldn't ask that question though as she is very prompt.  Did she accept the invitation?  I hope she did and I just know you'll like her ma.  When your with her for 10 min you'll know what I mean.
There are so many things to tell but I guess I just have to wait I see you all because it's all military which probably don't sound like much but it's still restricted.
So far I didn't get seasick, in fact I really get a kick out of the sway of the ship.  I guess I'm an old timer at it huh!  Remember when I went down to sign up for the Navy?  I felt so disappointed I think I would have like it.  But it really doesn't make much of a difference, does it ma?
I am sleeping on a flat mattress but most of the boys are sleeping in hammocks but I don't hear any of them complain so I guess it's all right.  Maybe I'll try it one night to see how it feels.  
We are pretty fortunate as the boys have formed a band and play twice a day and they really jive out (15 pieces).  It certainly makes the trip a peaceful one.
I guess Helen must be real happy being two St. Louis teams won the pennants.  I guess she will probably say something about that in her letters.  
We saw some flying fish.  They're small & they come out of the water flay for a couple of yards and they go into the water again.  They're beautiful little fish.
I guess that's about all right now.  So until we land I close & don't worry because there is nothing to worry about.  And I'll write as soon as possible.  Until then I remain
Your Loving Soldier Boy
Tony  
 
 

No comments: