Thursday, October 24, 2013

Dear Mom, Pa, Grandma, Aunt Anna, Bob, Ann & Ele Letter No. 151

Oct. 24, 1944
Tues.
#151
Somewhere in England

Dear Mom, Pa, Grandma, Aunt Anna, Bob, Ann & Ele,

It's just about a week since I last wrote, but a cold (which is just about gone) and a few other circumstances made it a bit difficult for me to write but now I guess I will be able to write more regular.
I'll include Grandma & Aunt Anna in a few more letters until I catch up with my mail.  OK?  So when your through with it ma, let Grandma & Aunt Anna read it.
I got quite a bit to write but I don't know where to begin.  I think I'll just write them as they come into my mind.  O.K.
Coming across on the boat, after I wrote you on the boat, we got Red Cross kits with toilet articles, cards, games & books, so for the rest of the trip that was our pastime.  We also got paid on the boat ($9.50) but I got a stroke of luck and won a few dollars playing bingo with the boys.  At the end of the trip I was ahead about $50.  Believe me it was just a pastime.  A few of the boys in the Co. who played craps won about $1,000.  That's hard to believe but it's true.  I got a money order made and am sending it home.  Please give Boby $10 of it.  O.K.  And take out what you need ma.  
I still didn't receive any letters from you ma but I will probably get some in short order as the mail over here is far from being straightened out.  I just got a few letters from Helen & one from Sonny.  Helen's letters are really swell swell.  Yes ma she's the girl for me.  She sent me some pictures she took while she was in Chicago and they came out swell.  I'll enclose one and then you can send it back.  O.K.  She said she promised her mother she was going to stay home this vacation (I remember her saying something about it one time but I wasn't sure) So I wrote and told her she was welcome at any time, so maybe it will be next May or June.  How is that Ma?  I guess you both got it figured out already but you could mention in your letter ma that she is welcome at any time O.K.?
I have a few points of interest which I'm sure you all will enjoy.  First, I believe I said I would tell you about the English money.  It will probably be a bit confusing at first as I did but it works out pretty good.  I'll give the name of the coin & then the approximate value in American money.  d=penny  s=shilling  £=pound.
Copper Coins
1/2d (half penny) = 1 cent in American money
1d (penny) = 2 cents
3d (three pence or thrupence) = 5 cents
Silver Coins
6d (six pence) = 10 cents
1s (shilling or bob) = 20 cents
2s (Florin) = 40 cents
2s+6d (Half Crown) = 50 cents
5s (Crown) = $1.00
Paper Currency
10s (10 shilling note) = $2.00
£1 (pound note) = $4.00
£5 (5 pound note) = $20.00

Do you all understand it.  It may be confusing if your having the money but I'm sure it will be interesting.  A few little oddities which you'll find interesting I'm sure.
England is a small country, smaller than N. Carolina or Iowa.  London has a population of 12 million people 1/4 of the total of the British Isles.  I guess that's why it's Germany's target.  The people in England drive on the left side of the road & the steering wheel is on the right side.  Just the opposite from ours.  I thought some of the things in our country was old but when I was on pass I saw a church over a 1000 years old.  That's twice as old as anything in the U.S.  At anyplace in England a person can't be over a 100 miles from a sea.  Do you all like these little oddities?  I'll try to pick up a few more and write them in my next letter.
How do you all feel?  I pray that you all are in the best of health and very happy.  And remember there is nothing to worry about.  Just promise me you won't worry and I'll be real happy.  Tell Grandma I pray every night no matter where I may be.  So until my next letter I remain
Your Loving Soldier Boy
Tony

P.S.  Boby your pen writes real well.  I hope you are making out just as well with mine.
P.S.2  I forgot to tell you that Sonny was made First Lieutenant (I just can't picture him to be a lieutenant, the only way I think of him is a jitterbug and us going to school together).  Things really do change don't they?  He has 21 missions to his credit and had a few narrow escapes over the Ploesti Oil Fields.  Please say a few prayers for him that he will be protected at all times.  O.K. Thanks.
P.S.3  How is our little puppy?  Has he got a new sweater?
P.S.4  Max hurt his toe kicking the mud off his shoe.  So now he has to sit around a couple days.
 
     

No comments: