Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 148

Sept. 10, 1944
Sunday
#148

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

It is Sunday afternoon & the sun is trying its darnedest to break through.  It's a flip of the coin whether it will or not though.  Talking about weather, remember I told you it was sweltering in L.A.; Well the next day I read in the paper it was 103 degrees.  I guess it was hot huh!  Another thing--when I was in L.A. my eyes did burn me an awful lot (that's one reason I went to the show I thought it was the sun) but I also read in the paper that it was the gas from the industrial factories that caused it.  I'll enclose 2 clippings which will explain everything.
I had to break it off here as one of the boys wanted me to go to the show.  And boy it was a good show.  "Arsenic and Old Lace" with Cary Grant, Raymond Massey, Priscilla Lane.  It was really good.  After seeing the show I remember seeing the stage play in N.Y. a long time ago.  I couldn't say which was the better.
Fri & Sat I had guard.
This morning I went to 11 o'clock mass.  I was surprised he didn't give a sermon today.
Say mom, in one of my letters to Helen I asked her if she would like to correspond to you and I just got a letter back and these are her exact words, "I should be tickled to death to correspond with your mother."  I told her it would make you so happy and I'm sure it will.  At least when you correspond with Helen ma you won't have any trouble as she always has plenty to say.  Not like Tiny.  What do you say?  Did you answer the thank you note she sent you?  If not why don't you ma?  I wish you would ma.  In fact ma after writing to her you will probably feel like you have another daughter.  And that's exactly the way I wish you would feel.  I do have intentions and if my intentions work out all right she will be your daughter after the war.  You could write just about anything as she writes just about ordinary things that would happen to anybody & boy they sure do sound funny.  Just in her last letter, I'll just quote one paragraph "Last night you know what happened?  First I let the potatoes fry too long and then when I was ready to put the bowl on the table I picked it up on the hot side and it was so hot I dropped the bowl, potatoes & all on the floor and even broke the dish.  Mary (her sister) and I had to almost fight to keep the baby from sitting in the middle of it.  He wanted to play in the fried potatoes.  Anyway when Jane (her other sister) came home last night she exclaimed "What no potatoes."  Guess I did it.  When I came home from church last night I took songs down in shorthand from the radio and sat on the floor in the living room and typed it out.  I wasn't a bit tired last night and at 12:00 I finally decided to turn in."  
That's one of her typical paragraphs so you see you won't have a bit of trouble corresponding with her.  In your next letter just tell her you would be delighted to correspond with her.  OK, ma?
I am glad Ann got the bracelet fixed.  Doe she like it?  (You could write things like that to Helen).  (Or that Ann just got finished baking cupcakes).  You see how easy it is.
I am so glad Dr. Trombly's report was good.  I guess that is all he can say ma, but as long as he does say that and nothing else is all that matters, right?
I hope Ann doesn't start having headaches again.  I hope she's better now.
So Ele & Bob are stepping out together.  That tickled me.  Yes please do let me know whether Clinton (It seems like all the Clinton's fall for Ele) makes the date.  This is like a continued serial.
I didn't get the course yet.  I probably will real soon now.  I'll let you know.
Well ma I am so glad you are O.K., that always makes me feel tops too.  Give Grandma my love.  Hope everybody is in the best of health.  Until my next letter I remain
Your Loving Soldier Boy
Tony

P.S. I'll enclose a few clippings for your scrapbook.  Love, T
 
 
    

No comments: