Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 94

Anthony J. Curcio
Co. "A" A.S.T.U. 3920
U. of O. Eugene

Date 10/27/43
Letter No. 94
Rec'd 133, 134, 135, 136, 137

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

By gosh it's not raining today. For about two weeks it just rained and rained, morning, noon and night.
I made out pretty good on my tests last week. I got 66 in an English test (pretty good huh), 86 in Geog., 77 Physics, 62 Hist., 90 & 87 Military Law. We take a two hr. exam in algebra on Sat. I'll have to do good in that.
We don't get numerical marks for the quarter. We get letters like A, B, C, D, or F for failure.
I went out again with Tiny on Sat. and Sunday and we had a pretty good time. Sat. we went to the show and saw "Oklahoma Kid." It was a bit old but it was good. Sunday the A.S.T.U. Football team played the calvary and won 33-12. I guess they are pretty good. Sunday night we just went to a restaurant and had something to eat and then took a little walk and then she played on the piano for me. Do you know how a concert pianist plays, just goes from one piece to another, so smooth with her hands just gliding over the keys. You can just sit there and relax. I wish you could hear her play ma.
Hemenway flunked out and was shipped to Camp Abbot? in eastern Georgia. He may come in this weekend.
I felt so bad when I heard that Boby had to have two teeth pulled. She's so careful in cleaning her teeth all the time. I hope she feels better.
I received the two packages. I think I mentioned it already tho. I certainly would like some jelly ma. And when I eat it, it will take me right back home, and I can see Grandma and you stirring the jelly in the big pot and then pour it in to all the jars you saved of all different shapes and put the little pieces of paper on the top of the jars. We all don't know how good we had it ma. As for candy ma, I'll always like to receive them.
Yes ma it would be pretty hard to call me up. In the first place it's hard to get in touch with anyone around here because we are always in class and other obvious reasons.
You ask me what Tiny's real name is. It's Edna Fisher. (She's not Jewish tho).
I didn't think the fellas overseas could write anything in their letters about the battles etc? Or did Mr. Massa expand on the story a little?
We have chicken about every Sunday and they make it quite well here. And it certainly fills you up.
Are you getting a phone in the house? I didn't know about it.
I could use a few pair of socks ma (kaki) slightly heavy ones would do the trick.
I hope Al Lindner is O.K. Let me know how he is when you hear from him.
That was awful nice of Frank to tell Ann to get a hope chest. He's really a swell guy. And a real Marine.
I am in the best of health and I hope you all are and I hope Barb and Pa are feeling better. You didn't tell me what the doctor said when you went to see him. Let me know ma. Send Grandma my love and give her plenty of kisses for me. I'll try to write more often ma. Until then I remain
Your Loving Soldier Boy
Tony

No comments: