Sunday, January 18, 2009

Dear Mom, Pa, Barb, Sis & Ele, Letter No. 3

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio 1-18-43 7:00 PM
4th Receiving Co. Barrack Z Letter No. 3
Camp Upton, NY

Dear Mom, Pa, Barb, Sis, Ele,

This morning we got up at 5 o'clock. We got half hr. to wake up and then we went to breakfast. We always have to wait about half hr. in line before we get into the mess hall. We got sausages, eggs, apricots, bread & butter, coffee, milk & a pear.
After chow we reported back to the barracks an dwere given details to do. These details are to keep us busy until we are shipped. So from 8-11 & 1-4 we are supposed to carry out our details. Everybody gets something different to do. Joe had to go around & pick up pieces of paper. 8 other fellows & myself were taken in a truck to a warehouse to pack some stuff away. That took us about 20 minutes. Then we came back because our job was finished. Then we had dinner. From then on we had all the time for our self, because it rained all afternoon, so we weren't given details in the afternoon.
You really can't say when you are going to be shipped because some guys have been here 49 days. Some were here only a couple of days. So ma youcan write if you want to. They send the mail right after you if you are shipped. But address the mail as I have it above.
I find the only way to keep from getting lonely is to write or sleep. I am getting a bit tired but I still would rather write.
Ma I met a fellow this morning on our detail who lives right across the street from us. He lives at 2032 Harmon St. His name is Bill Daffendale. His birthday is June 10. Some coincidence. Huh.
They say if you stay here for 21 days you can get a 36 hr. pass. I would hate to stay here for 21 days but if I was positive I was going to get the pass I would certainly like to stay here.
We walked around the camp today and went to the post exchange; they have about everything down here. Cigarettes are 15 cents (by the way I forgot my cigarettes, but don't send any), candy is 3 cents, cough drops are 3 cents and most everything else is cheaper. I may buy myself a cigarette lighter.
I wrote to Grandma & Ele also.
They have movies down here but you have to get on line about 1 1/2 hr before time so I just stay in my barracks and write. In case I am shipped you won't hear from me for a couple of days, so don't worry. But I don't think I will be shipped for a while. So until you all hear from me, I hope you all are OK. I am feeling OK except that I am away from home. I'll probably have time to write tomorrow.

So Until Then I Remain
Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

P.S. I think I'll shave before I turn in my beard is starting to get a little dark.
P.S. I wrote this letter before turning to bed. Goodnight. I wanted to mail it the first thing in the morning but we had to get up at 4:30. We couldn't wash or go to the latrine. We had to report to the Prison Camp for K.P. we worked from 5 am to 9 at night. I will write a whole letter on it tomorrow.
Boy am I tired.
That was about the hardest 16 hrs. I
put in. But now when I come home
you can give me all the dishes
you want and I won't say
a word. Goodnight from
your loving soldier
boy -- Tony

No comments: