Saturday, January 31, 2009

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele, Letter No. 11

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio Date 1-31-43
Flight "F" 360th Tech. Sch. Sqd. Letter No. 11
Jefferson Barracks, MO.

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele,

The weather up here is pretty nice. It isn't so cold & if it is cold you don't feel it because the air is dry. In the afternoon, if the sun is out it's just like a spring day.
No matter what we do here or where we
[go] we always have to fall in and we march in formation. It's part of their basic training to keep you in shape.
Friday night we took showers & washed our clothes.
Sat. we were awaken
[ed] at 4:30 had to fall out in 15 minutes, we were given ten minutes to go to the latrine, went to chow & direct from chow we had to walk about 2 miles to the theatre to see the picture on the projector of disease again. We saw it at Camp Upton but some saw it here & some didn't so we all had to see it over again. Then we were given a speech by the chaplain. Then we had to walk back. In the afternoon after chow we had to walk there again & was given the articles of war & a picture of march of time. Then we had to walk back again. Boy my feet are starting to hurt. I feel it in the heels.
Boy what a break we got. In the night the U.S.O. sponsored a play in the tent arena. Guess what it was. It was "Arsenic and Old Lace." Boy it was good. But I was kind of tired. I just fell asleep when I hit the bed. (Program enclosed)
I figured we would be off on Sunday but we had to move to new huts. I'm glad we did. It's nearer to the mess hall. We have 8 in a hut instead of 6. We don't have cots anymore, but double decker beds. (I sleep on the bottom). We also got foot lockers to put our stuff in. Boy it feels good to have your stuff in order. It took us all morning to move because it was raining cats & dogs. In the afternoon we had to work. We had to take the foot lockers out of old huts and bring them to ours. More walking. I guess I will break them in after awhile.
So here it is Sunday night the first time I had to write since I last wrote.
I got a little leaflet on the history & map of Jefferson Barracks. It's quite interesting.
I also include an emblem we wear on our arm. It's for ma. It's the air corps insignia.
Say ma, ma
[y]be you would like to come out here for a couple of days? We have a place here where visitors stay. It would be about a 24 hours trip by Grand Central R.R. I don't know it may be kind of tiresome for you, but I certainly would like to see you ma. It's been very lonely. Think it over ma.
I think I will turn in early tonight because we will be given
[a] test tomorrow so that we can be classified in certain branches of the air corps. So so long for awhile. Hope you all are still in the best of health & ma let me know what's what with examination. I'm positive it's O.K.

Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

P.S. I didn't receive any mail here yet. Some mail was forwarded from Camp Upton but none for me. It will probably come tomorrow.

No comments: