Friday, January 23, 2009

Dear Mom, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele, Letter No. 5

Pvt. Anthony J. Curcio 1-23-43
4th Receiving Co. Barrack Z Letter No. 5
Camp Upton, NY Rec'd 1

Dear Mom, Pa, Barb, Ann, Ele.

I received your letter yesterday ma, in late mail. Boy was I glad to get it.
Now ma don't worry about any doctor bills. It's not worth worrying about; the only thing is that you get better in the best possible way & means. Isn't that right?
I am glad Ele wrote to you mom. It will be so much better if you all keep in contact with each other.
You ask me how am I getting along with Joe. Well Joe was shipped Wed. as I told you in my last letter. Joe never got K.P. duty. Clifford is complaining about the food huh. Well I think we all are complaining. As for my feet I have no trouble yet. Was Clifford shipped yet?
While I think of it, will you send me Frank's address?
I really don't know whether all my clothes fit me or not. I didn't put on my O.D.'s yet. (Official Dress) The fellows wear them at night & they have to wear them when they are shipped. I usually stay in the barracks at night & write letters or go to sleep early, unless I have to get something from the P.X.
The shoes are very comfortable even tho they are heavy.
I can't answer the question about how army life is affecting me because this really isn't any life. There is no drill here, just details & that's a waste of time until you are shipped & believe me everybody wastes time, even the bosses.
On Thurs. we got a detail leveling off dirt outside our barracks. It was about 6 degrees out here. Boy was it cold. Later in the afternoon it started to snow. But it didn't last long.
On Fri. I got an easy job in the afternoon. I got guard duty detail in my barracks. There was a shipment going out & they met at our barracks. (My friend went on that shipment. That was the only one I got friendly with). I couldn't let anybody out without a guard. I guess it's just a safe precaution. I am friendly with them all but mostly him. I didn't want you to think that I didn't have any friends.
After that shipment there are only 12 on our roster. So I thought I would leave today. So I took a shower & shaved but I'm still here, ma
[y]be I leave Sunday.
I certainly would have liked to have been shipped with the other fellows. But that's the way it goes. Ma
[y]be it's because I have different qualifications.
Say did you get those pictures developed? As soon as I get to a new camp you can send them.
Did Ele go skating yet? How are they making out with the piano lessons? Or did you sell the piano? Joke.
Is grandma feeling OK?
How is Bobby's
[Barb's nickname] event coming along?
& I don't have to ask you about my gloves. One is finished already. That's swell.
Well I think that's all for now. If I am shipped I will probably have time to drop you a line before I leave here. So so long for awhile, hoping you are all OK & send my best regards to Frank.
Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

P.S. This fellow who was shipped yesterday which I mentioned above, his name was James Crowley. I lent him a dollar. He will send it to you when he gets to his new camp.

No comments: