Friday, August 23, 2013

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 144

Aug. 23/44
Wed. Night
#144

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

Here it is Wed. already.  Boy time flies.  I can't say much in fact nothing of what we do but it's just more or less the same routine anyway so we'll let it go at that.  I can say will be leaving Camp Cooke (when I don't know) but I guess that's not much news anyway but it's pretty definite now.  Just don't say anything to anybody.  It just shouldn't be talked about.
I saw two good pictures this week one Sunday night & one tonight and both really were excellent and which I want you all to see.  Sunday I saw "Dragon Seed" with Katharine Hepburn and I don't like Katharine Hepburn too much but this picture was for her and nobody else and she certainly did play the part.   It was a perfect role for her.  I hope you can see it ma I know you'll like it and the story was taken from Pearl S. Buck.  I remember you telling me about the Chinese customs & ways from the books you read by her and the picture shows them up swell.  Maybe you can read this book?  Let me know.
The picture I saw tonight (we get off on Wed. nights) was "Janie."  And if you all want to laugh throughout the whole picture don't miss this one either.  Joyce Reynolds takes the lead & does an excellent job.  "Life" magazine of Aug. 21 has a preview of what it's like so you can get an idea of what it's like from the magazine.
The other day I was lying on my bunk and one of the fellows came in and left the door open and to tell you the truth the fog came into the barracks.  You could see it as it came through the door.  That's just to give you an idea of what the fog is like sometime.  You get used to it after awhile.
One of the boys (Brooklyn boy) gets a sheet from the Brooklyn Eagle sent to him with all the boys names on it and after he looks at it he gives it to me.  In this one I saw a Sgt. Major from 2031 Harmon St.  It's [?] familia.  Did you hear anything about him?
I received your 2009 & 210 letter & they were really swell.
Boy that was some storm in N.Y.  Gosh that must have been awful.  The weather outside of Lompoc Canyon (that's where we are) is swell.  It just is foggy.
I sure do hope Grandma is all right as you say maybe Gram needs to go out more like all used to.  Well it won't be long before you all be going out together again.  Right?
I hope Dad had a nice time on his vacation.  What did he do at Mastic Beach with Mr. Massa?  Go fishing?  Did he catch anything?
So Bob had a date with a guy from California.  Ask him if he wants to trade places.  He can have Calif. if he wants it.
Thanks for sending for the compacts.
I am glad you feel well ma.  I won't worry now ma.  As long as I have your word for it.
I receive a letter from Helen just about every other day & in her last letter she enclosed a picture of her sister's baby.  Ain't it cute.  Does it remind me of you ma?  Helen has 3 sisters & two brothers.  The picture was so cute I wanted you to see it.  You can send it back & I will send it back to her.  O.K.
I'll close now ma.  Until my next letter I remain
Your Loving Soldier Boy
Tony

P.S. #1 I'm all out of air mail stamps, but I do want to get this off tonight so I'll send it free.
P.S. #2  Please tell Gram I will write tomorrow & give Gram my love & kisses.
  
 
       

No comments: