Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 133


6/12/44 
Letter No. 133
Rec'd  196 & 197

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,


Well here it is another Monday again.  It seems like I hit Mon & Tues for writing letters doesn't it?
Well I went to L.A. again over the weekend.  I was just lucky again as there was a bus for the battalion going down.  I found out the last minute so I called up the girl I met at the dance last weekend and made a date (she's a jitterbug from Iowa).  We went to Long Beach at the Municipal Auditorium again.  This time they had Henry King & his orch.  We had a nice time.  I slept at the dormitory & Sunday I went to Hollywood & stopped in at the Hollywood Canteen again.  They put on a nice show.  The only celebrity was Elizabeth Patterson who plays "mother" in most pictures.  I got her autograph & will enclose in this letter.  Her latest picture as I wrote on the back of the card is "Hail the Conquering Hero" playing the part of Ella's aunt.  Maybe you can see it when it comes around.  Then I went to the U.S.O. & got a record made which they will send home.  I made a few mistakes but you know me ma.  I hope you like it.  My voice sounds kind of deep I guess maybe I was standing to close to the mic.  I think you'll get a kick out of it.  Play it for Grandma also OK.
We are just doing routine stuff around here which doesn't make good writing matter but an doing fine in all my work.

I just love to receive your letters ma.  You asked me about that rocket I was going to make a lamp out of.  Well we had to turn them in and I'm not sure yet whether I can get it back but I'll try to get one.
I didn't see "Shine on Harvest Moon" but if it comes (or maybe it passed) I'll see it.  
I certainly was surprised about the Marines having a victory garden.  I guess they do about anything to keep busy.
I'm glad my watch is OK and running fine.  That's a load off my mind.  My watch keeps perfect time.  It comes in so handy especially on these problems at night.  It's really swell.
I certainly hope Al is all right.  His mother shouldn't worry so much.  Worry is just no good.
It is certainly good news about the invasion.  This will be over sooner than we think.  I always talked about the underground movement would be the deciding factor & just in tonight's paper it said half million French patriots are revolting.  I don't see how the nazi can last for any reasonable time.  
Are you & Bob & Tiny still corresponding?  Now don't say anything & she didn't for awhile either.  Let me know?
I guess that's about it for right now.  I got K.P. tomorrow but I don't mind it a bit.  
Give my regards to Grandma.  Love & kisses.  Take good care of yourself and let me know the latest as to whether your picking up weight etc.
Until then I remain
Your Loving Soldier Boy
Tony

P.S.  Will you please look at one of Ed Thatcher's letters and send me his address.  I think I put the wrong address on his last one.  O.K.

No comments: