Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 116

Anthony J. Curcio
Co. B - 22 Tank Bn. A.P.O. 261
Camp Cooke, Calif.

3/14/44
Letter No. 116
Rec'd

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

I'm free tonight. I didn't think I would be because twice a week the Co. goes on a hike from 7 to 11 at night but we won't have to go for a while yet.
I don't think I said too much about the camp in yesterday's letter but frankly there isn't much to say about it. It's barracks, barracks and more barracks. There are very few trees and it's very sandy as we are but a few miles from the Pacific Ocean between Santa Maria & Santa Barbara. (In fact we can see the water from the camp.) The camp is spaced out over miles and miles. It's very large. They have a service club (that's where I am now) for entertainment and writing etc. They have a couple of shows also. They have a pamphlet out about Camp Cooke. If I can get one I will send it home.
The outfit (any branch of it) isn't very appealing. But it's getting a little better now that we are getting to know the boys.
Today we had calisthenics in the morning and thru some drill and then some more review lectures on wearing of the uniform. There we had a lecture of the organization of the 11th Armored Division. It includes all branches of the service artillery, cavalry, infantry, etc. The 22 Tank Battalion is one branch of the 11th Armored Division. If you want me to explain that more let me know. O.K. Then they showed us the different tanks and their parts. It doesn't look too appealing but I don't think it will be too bad. I still feel luckier than some of the boys who were put into some of the other outfits. In the afternoon we went for a 3 mile hike. The sun is out all day and there is not a cloud in the sky but it's still very cold. There is a constant breeze coming in off the ocean and regardless of the sun it's very windy and cold. Then we had lectures on chemical warfare and maintenance of the jeep. We had most of that in our basic training.
Then when we were finished at 5 o'clock I took a shower and etc. The food is pretty good only some of the boys claim there isn't enough. But it's enough to suit me.
Did you get the box I sent home?
Ma I know your birthday is on the 24th of this month but I hope it will be all right if I send it a little late. O.K. I want to look around town (when I get in). I don't know when we will get passes yet. I just wanted to let you know so that you knew I didn't forget.
I don't think I told you in yesterday's letter but we are not allowed to wear civilian shoes or garrison caps with the peak. Boy they are really G.I. around here.
The armored division also wears their hats on the left side of the heads instead of the right side like other outfits do. I guess it's pride or something.
How is everybody home and how are things going?
I am in the best of health. Don't worry about anything and as soon as things get set over here I'll see the sergeant about a furlough. I know it won't be for a while but I got a pretty good chance. Don't count on it and don't worry about it please. I'll do the best I can. O.K. Until my next letter I remain

Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

P.S. Please tell Grandma not to send me anymore airmail stamps for awhile. Effective March 24 airmail stamps will be 8 cents instead of 6 cents. I will have enough until that time comes. O.K.

No comments: