Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele Letter No. 114

Anthony J. Curcio
Co. "A" A.S.T.U. 3920
U. of O. Eugene ORE

3/6/44
Letter No. 114
Rec'd 176

Dear Ma, Pa, Barb, Ann & Ele,

Well we found out where we are going. It's back to California again. The whole unit is being transferred to the 11th Armored Division, Camp Cook, California. It's about 120 miles from Los Angeles. Santa Barbara I believe it is near. It seems to be a pretty good outfit. We will leave Thursday or Friday of this week and will be about a two day trip.
The term ended on Sat. and as soon as it did Tiny and I hopped on a bus and went to Salem. You see Tiny's term ended Sat. too and she has the whole week off. After we ate at Tiny's house we went to a show. I can't remember for the life of me what the name was. I'm getting awful forgetful. I think it was "What a Woman" with Rosalind Russell. It was awful good tho even tho I'm not sure of the name. Maybe you saw it?
This time I didn't want to cause Tiny's mother any trouble so I got a hotel room for Sat. night. She said I should have stayed at the house but I thought it would be better that way. Sunday morning we went to church and then after church Tiny, her parents and myself went for a ride to Silver Creek Falls. And boy what a beautiful sight to see. The more you see of the west coast the more beautiful it becomes. The Silver Creek Falls is 183 feet high and is in center of a beautiful park. A path winds down the side of a hill and goes right under the falls and it certainly is a thrill to walk under it. I'll try to pick up some pictures if I can.
When we came back we ate a swell meal and we sat around and talked and Tiny played the piano. We left about 8:30 and when I said goodnight to Tiny's mother, Tiny said she got tears in her eyes. It made me feel funny. Tiny drove me down to the station and we talked our parting words. At least I thought they were but I'm going to try to go up and see Tiny Wed. because she went to the hospital today to have her appendix out. They have been bothering her for quite a while now so she thought it would be best. I hope she's O.K. I'm going to call her later on tonight.
Today we went for a short hike this morning and have the rest of the day off. I cleaned up my room and I am sending the letters and some books etc. home. I am sending it C.O.D. if I can because my wallet is low. I hope you don't mind.
I am sending some pictures I got of some of the boys. I have more and will include some in each letter. O.K. I am also sending a group picture of our section last term.
I am in the best of health and Sat. morning I went to Company's dentist and had my tooth fixed. One of the fillings fell out a little while ago. I hope everybody is O.K. If Sandy gets too fresh you better strap on on him. He can't go around biting people. I hope Grandma's arm is better. I'll close now remaining
Your Loving Soldier Boy,
Tony

No comments: